Sign in to follow this  
Rico

95.3 Rumor

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

I hate to be the bearer of the 'BS' tag, but both Chris Paul and Marcin Gortat are BYC, so, barring a degree in Advanced Mathematics and NBA Salary Cap Restrictions, this deal is pert near impossible.

It could be worse: it could be two poison pill provision players.

This dude I work with (who knows I am a Magic fan) just approached me and asked me if I had heard about the "trade"...he heard it on 95.3 too. Maybe its just me, but I think radio DJs need to be more responsible with what they "report".

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of BYC status? Is it to prevent a team from signing, say, Pat Garrity to a one year, 18 million contract and trading him straight up to a team like Washington for one of their superstars in a straight salary dump?

How often would that even happen? Instead, it thwarts a myriad of otherwise legitimate deals.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Griffin:

This dude I work with (who knows I am a Magic fan) just approached me and asked me if I had heard about the "trade"...he heard it on 95.3 too. Maybe its just me, but I think radio DJs need to be more responsible with what they "report".

if it actually did happen, there is a large possibility that it was a caller that might have said it on the air instead of the radio personality, at least that's one thing to consider...

regardless, the media outlets are typical well behind the curve on this big news like trades, at least in there reporting, for fact checking purposes and such...we would have heard about something of this magnitude long before a party station DJ...at least I would hope...

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

if it actually did happen, there is a large possibility that it was a caller that might have said it on the air instead of the radio personality, at least that's one thing to consider...

That is very real possibility.

quote:

regardless, the media outlets are typical well behind the curve on this big news like trades, at least in there reporting, for fact checking purposes and such...we would have heard about something of this magnitude long before a party station DJ...at least I would hope...

Good point.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of BYC status? Is it to prevent a team from signing, say, Pat Garrity to a one year, 18 million contract and trading him straight up to a team like Washington for one of their superstars in a straight salary dump?

How often would that even happen? Instead, it thwarts a myriad of otherwise legitimate deals.

That's more or less exactly why that rule is in place, though the 18m example is a little extreme.

Imagine if this offseason we'd wanted to S&T Turk for 10m for a 15m a year player that another team wanted to dump to reduce luxury tax, but didn't want to give up additional players. Without BYC we could've resigned Jeremy Richardson for a 5m 1 year contract with only a half million guaranteed.

The trade happens, Richardson gets a half million for signing his name, and the whole system gets abused.

The rule exists to prevent marginal players from getting resigned to bigger deals than they deserve to make salaries match for trades.

I spoke with Scott Anez at RDV during lunch and he said someone called into the post game WDBO 580 show with this rumor last night, not sure if that is how it made its way to 95.3 this morning..

Regardless, his reaction was basically that whoever started this rumor is Crackin some Smoke...