Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Is Dwight just another modern day athlete?

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

That's cool. Instead of accepting fault you bold something you said previously.

My logic wasn't flawed; almost anything everybody participates in isn't immoral in day to day life. If, all of a sudden, everybody started murdering each other and smoking crack then not almost anything everybody participates in will be morally acceptable. I didn't miss what you meant, it was simple enough, but it's very flawed.

And still, focusing on the crack and murder, you miss the point. The point isn't what you substitute in for X in and of itself, only that when you do substitue something else there, you can see the faultly logic of the argument itself.

So long as you keep focusing on you comparison between children out of wedlock, and smocking crack/murder you are completely missing the point.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

My logic wasn't flawed; almost anything everybody participates in isn't immoral in day to day life. If, all of a sudden, everybody started murdering each other and smoking crack then not almost anything everybody participates in will be morally acceptable. I didn't miss what you meant, it was simple enough, but it's very flawed.

And still, focusing on the crack and murder, you miss the point. The point isn't what you substitute in for X in and of itself, only that when you do substitue something else there, you can see the faultly logic of the argument itself.

So long as you keep focusing on you comparison between children out of wedlock, and smocking crack/murder you are completely missing the point.

And as long as you keep focusing on my percieved focus on smoking crack and murder you're going to keep missing my point.

My point is that I'm not using the fact that everybody does something as evidence in itself that it's morally acceptable, I'm using it in the context that everything everybody participates in is morally just and that this is no exception. There is no intended causation in my wording but rather correlation.

quote:

quote:

quote:

And as long as you keep focusing on my percieved focus on smoking crack and murder you're going to keep missing my point.

My point is that I'm not using the fact that everybody does something as evidence in itself that it's morally acceptable, I'm using it in the context that everything everybody participates in is morally just and that this is no exception. There is no intended causation in my wording but rather correlation.

So, instead of saying everyone does X, so it must be morally acceptable. You are saying, everyone is doing it because it is morally acceptable. That's your difference here? That's your argument? The acceptability is driving the action, not the action causing the acceptability?

Therefore, if it was morally acceptable to smoke crack and murder peope, everyone would be doing it!

What distinguishes the modern day athlete from their predecessors? Behavior or exposure?

Debauchery has been just as prominent a part of the pro athletes lifestyle as that of musicians and actors since the days of Jack Johnson, Babe Ruth, & Mickey Mantle.

Conversely, groupies did not always think it was a cute look to admit publically they'd been smashing married men so they could follow Levi Johnson on the Joy Behar show and begin their aspiring careers as reality tv stars...

quote:

Sorry but since we lack details, we have to base it off of our own life experiance. In my life experiances, I've talked to many a girl whose goal was to sleep with a successful guy, get pregnant, and that will either set her set up financially for life or for 18 years. Given that all facts point towards Dwight being a good person, it is easily more likely that the woman was morally apprehensible and just wanted a max deal baby daddy. But yeah, lets judge the african american male. Real original.

And wow I don't think "not in my neighborhood" could be anymore of an attack on race. Good try at hiding it.

My judgement of Dwight is as equally absent as the perceived racial attack you sight. If anything, I have only faulted the media in perpetuating the establishment of iconic status only to hopefully, purposely and viciously participate in ratings boosting, revenue generating image destruction.

As for my comparison between out of wedlock child baring and crack binge murderers, it was more a reference to historical context than anything (but Echo has also more than partially gathered the meaning - it was certainly meant to be much more than "crack smoking murderers are equal to single parents"...WHICH ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD THINK). You see, 20 years ago having a child out of wedlock was not nearly as prevalent or acceptable as today. Would it have mattered had I compared single parenthood to homosexuality or casual drug use? Probably not. The point of the comparison would likely have still been lost on the simple-minded.

It also seems that the entire point of the thread has been lost on some as well. It was not started in an effort to judge Dwight's actions per se. It was more meant to identify how an athlete's carefully constructed image, built according to their wholesome specifications, can contrast greatly with their actions, and when that occurs what sort of public response is warranted (if any).

What have these boards come to? Are we actually resorting back to having well thought out and thought-provoking threads? Surely not.

Great OP, Smack.

Those that choose to build their fortune based on the establishment of a certain image create a risk factor directly proportionate to the degree to which they choose to adhere to that image.

In some cases, it seems to me that some build images based on their moral standards, and become subject to failure simply based on their inability to live up to those standards. That's where I see Dwight. And a guy like Tebow, should he fall victim to similar slidings.

In cases like Tiger and MJ, I don't believe that the image they have created has anything to do with how they truly feel about anything. They are simply establishing an image that will garner them the most endorsement opportunities. They really have no desire or intent in living within the boundries of that image. They only desire to keep it private so as not to taint their financial opportunities.

These may be unfair/inaccurate generalizations, but I do think there are some differences in these types of situations.

Okay, can we get back to having more threads about how Brandon Bass should be on the All-star team now?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Those that choose to build their fortune based on the establishment of a certain image create a risk factor directly proportionate to the degree to which they choose to adhere to that image.

I was going to make this point through the use of a personal analogy in an earlier post and then deleted it. It's a great point IMO.

I, as a business owner with respectable & consistent business strategies, am thrust in front of hundreds of thousands of consumers annually. These consumers obviously entrust me with their money in exchange for reliable products or services. Well, what happens if/when these consumers detect that my personal life decisions contrast abruptly with those business practices in which they trust and which I profess to follow strictly?

It is just a game people, it is not life. Character is defined by how you behave when you have all you want, and when you don't.

If you thought Dwight or any other millionaire twenty-something game player was a good role model for your child, then think again.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I was going to make this point through the use of a personal analogy in an earlier post and then deleted it. It's a great point IMO.

I, as a business owner with respectable & consistent business strategies, am thrust in front of hundreds of thousands of consumers annually. These consumers obviously entrust me with their money in exchange for reliable products or services. Well, what happens if/when these consumers detect that my personal life decisions contrast abruptly with those business practices in which they trust and which I profess to follow strictly?

The difference between Tiger and Dwight are both the build up character and the degree of offense. Both work against Tiger in this case.

As for your personal analogy, just like the difference between Tiger and Dwight, it depends on the degree of importance your personal relationships with your customers drives their business.

Have you built your customer base through your personality, but kept them there because of your business itself, or do you sustain your level of business purely through your relationship with them?

If you keep them around due to the value you bring them through your business, I suspect any business backlash would be minimal. If you sustain your business based more on your relationship with your clients, then I suppose your business could take a more severe turn for the worse should those relationships sour.

quote:

As for your personal analogy, just like the difference between Tiger and Dwight, it depends on the degree of importance your personal relationships with your customers drives their business.

Have you built your customer base through your personality, but kept them there because of your business itself, or do you sustain your level of business purely through your relationship with them?

If you keep them around due to the value you bring them through your business, I suspect any business backlash would be minimal. If you sustain your business based more on your relationship with your clients, then I suppose your business could take a more severe turn for the worse should those relationships sour.

It was more of a "what if" analogy for real life application's sake (to get people away from remarking that it's just sports so who cares).

I have meticulously groomed my professional image to perfection. It's only on the internet, where I periodically call you characters d0uche bags, that I stray from that perfection.