Sign in to follow this  
Do Work Stan .... BOOYAAKASHAA

Dwights basketball IQ is proving to be very low....

It takes an incredible analytical mind to declare that someone is wrong(and a dumbass) for stating that sarcasm is a form of irony, and to preface that statement with a quote from something called "TheSarcasmSociety", the first sentence of which includes the quote:

quote:
however, sarcasm is a form of irony...

Honestly, you should have to provide a doctor's note explaining that kind of failure.

Your problem is that you've decided, like a far too large a number of people, that sneering, making a face, and acting like an unctuous jackass while talking to someone constitutes as being sarcastic. It doesn't.

For something to be sarcastic, there must be an irony present by definition. This irony doesn't necessarily have to be grand, or even interesting; it just has to exist. If no irony is present, you're not being sarcastic; you're being ******y. A good barometer for sarcasm, then, would be if a complete stranger could detect the sarcasm, even if they were only reading the conversation, and couldn't see your head jiggle, see your smirk, or hear your tone.

Take the following example of John and Eric, two people I just made up.

quote:
John: "Did you study for the Bio exam?"

Eric, after a head jiggle and a smirk: "No."

Secretly, Eric did study very much! Oh man, what sarcasm! Right?

Of course not. John has no way of having intimate knowledge of Eric's study habits. Since there is no immediate irony, no sarcasm is present. Eric may be talking and acting like an ***, which may convey visually and tonally, but his statement of "No." is not sarcastic.

If he had answered:

"No, I actually really want to fail Bio and have to retake it again next year, and likely never graduate,"

that would be sarcasm. John, or anyone else, can probably recognize that it is unlikely that Eric actually wants to fail the class, retake it, and "likely never graduate". Therefore, that statement is ironic, because it is the opposite of what you'd expect to hear from a student(i.e. that they want to get away from school as quickly as possible).

Jesus, you're like that waiter at Red Lobster who told me that they were out of shrimp, then said he was just kidding and totally being sarcastic, as though I, the customer, had some ****ing way of having intimate knowledge of Red Lobster's available supply of tasty crustaceans.

Which brings us to your final two paragraphs:

quote:
The fact that you think you are proving a point by pulling definitions and trying to sound intelligent while unknowingly making yourself look like even more of a dumb ***, now that is irony at it's finest.....your message board "street cred" means nothing to me. I am not a drone that looks up to the "DOM" because he apparently is the end all be all of this pathetic message board. Go do some more research and come back with something better.

Oh yea, and another great ****ing burn by making fun of my tag...that was very insulting (SARCASM yet again). I question your intelligence, you question my tag name...I am on another level...BOOOOYAAAKASHAAAAAA BIIIAAAATCCHHHHHH

Several questions arise here:.

1. If my "pulling definitions and trying to sound intelligent" were actually as negative as you're acting like it is, why would I then have any reason to "Go do some more research and come back with something better."?

2. What the hell is "the 'DOM'"? DOM is an abbreviation. You don't add articles to abbreviated names if the article doesn't apply to the fully fleshed out name. You wouldn't say "The John F Kennedy".

And before you ask, an article is a type of adjective. The words "a", "an" and "the" are all articles.

3. I have message board street cred? Alright, I have message board street cred!

Whatever the **** that means.

4. "I question your intelligence, you question my tag name"

Actually, I never once questioned your tag name. I pointed out that it's really ****ing stupid, and that if I'm going to choose who to believe on a definition: Webster's dictionary or a guy who represents himself with nonsense words, I'm going to choose Webster's, but that's not really questioning your name.

You didn't really question my intelligence either, for that matter. I mean, you called me "genius", which I guess was intended to be sarcastic, so, hey, you got me on that one. I'm not a genius.

I mean, I can read and write, which gives me a huge step up on the vast majority of this board, but you're right that I'm not a genius. So you know, strong work on pointing out that knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" doesn't make me an equal to Stephen Hawking.

5. As a general rule, writing "I am on another level" doesn't really accomplish as much as you think it does.

I'm not impressed by it, certainly. Your contributions to this thread are so far limited to not understanding the difference between sarcasm and acting ******y, failing to read the definition that YOU were providing correctly, and then ending a post with "BOOOOYAAAKASHAAAAAA BIIIAAAATCCHHHHHH".

Honestly, all I could think of when I read that was: "Yeah, being 16 was pretty great."

But that's not sarcasm. That's just me looking down on you, because you're a complete idiot.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

I love reading Drunk on Mystery's posts. Absolute ownage everytime.

OWNAGE EVERYTIME!!!!!!! hahahaha you guys are losers...it's unfortunate the blogs fearless leader doesn't know what he is talking about.

Too much reading for my liking. Probably nothing worth reading anyway. Irony is not sarcasm....goodbye crow