Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

quote:
Thierry Henry, Although he played for France in 1998, if I'm not mistaken, he hasn't played well in a WC.

Henry did play well in 2006, even scoring in quarters against Brazil. I think he was part of the champions team in 98, but was not integral to that team.

You are dead on about Raul, he was one of my favorites going up, but after he scored against Nigeria a beautiful goal in 98, he didnt do much else. Definitely a top 5 in stars disappointments in WC.

As I am only 26, the ones I can name are Raul, Van Basten, Riquelme, Beckham... I will remember more with time. Etoo and Weah didnt play any I think, and those were amazing. At least Etoo will be able to show this WC what he can do.

And the ones who played better in WC than in their whole career:

Most notably Salvatore Scilacchi, in Italy 90. Baggio was very good in 90 and 94, but he was also good in clubs level. My father told me all that Paolo Rossi ever did was that amazing display in 82. So apparently, the Italians are very good when it comes to clutch situations.

Its interesting whatever names you guys can throw out.

Denilso and Lentini, I remember them for being paid a fortune in Italy and Spain, and never lived up to the billing.

Scilacchi...wow. Wasn't this guy called at the very last minute because someone got injured? Biaggio was amazingin 1990.

Let's switch it up and talk about countries that went to the WC with high expectations and didn't so **** like Colombia in 1994 and England...in 1998 or 2002...can't remember which WC was it. I do remember they didn't make it to one of them.

quote:
Let's switch it up and talk about countries that went to the WC with high expectations and didn't so **** like Colombia in 1994 and England...in 1998 or 2002...can't remember which WC was it. I do remember they didn't make it to one of them.

Argentina in 2002. How could you forget that? 1st in the qualifyings, while Brazil entered by the window as 4th. Bielsa had prepared a super team that played european style, with everybody running. Batistuta, Ortega, Crespo, Veron among the starters.

We beat Nigeria. Lost to England. Tie with Sweden. Out in the 1st round.

I didnt remember such a disappointment since Colombia in 94.

And for the one who said Garrincha is better than Maradona, I do not know for sure, since I wasnt even born and just saw videos, but how can you put him over Maradona? Its like saying Romario or Ronaldo are better than him.

England didn't qualify in 1994, they got robbed against Holland in the qualifiers big time. I would put Garrincha ahead of Maradona but then I'm English so i'm not exactly Maradona's biggest fan lol

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

England didn't qualify in 1994, they got robbed against Holland in the qualifiers big time. I would put Garrincha ahead of Maradona but them I'm English s Maradon isn't exactly my biggest fan lol

LOL!!!

quote:
Most notably Salvatore Scilacchi, in Italy 90. Baggio was very good in 90 and 94, but he was also good in clubs level. My father told me all that Paolo Rossi ever did was that amazing display in 82. So apparently, the Italians are very good when it comes to clutch situations

Unless it's 1994, ahha

All-Star team of absents:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/w...p?cc=3888&ver=global

I think Zanetti and Cambiasso should not be there, since time and time again they have proven they are not capable of providing the same performances that they do on Inter wearing the National Shirt.

Plus Inter Milan plays like cowards, with everyone defending. Argentina will most certainly dont play like that.

Also Essien (with a recent injury), Benyaoun, Falcao and Ronaldinho are missing in my opinion.

quote:

All-Star team of absents:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/w...p?cc=3888&ver=global

I think Zanetti and Cambiasso should not be there, since time and time again they have proven they are not capable of providing the same performances that they do on Inter wearing the National Shirt.

Plus Inter Milan plays like cowards, with everyone defending. Argentina will most certainly dont play like that.

Also Essien (with a recent injury), Benyaoun, Falcao and Ronaldinho are missing in my opinion.

I wouldn't call them cowards. That's their style of play and look where it got them.

I really don't know much about Zanetti playing for Argentina, but you gotta love this old dude playing for Inter. He's amazing!

I was also really hoping to see Ronaldhino back with Brazil. This would've been his last WC and time to redeem him self.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

OK, here's my first take. Not much thougth (and a lot of homerism) But here's my take on how the tournament will shape up. (Winner to the left)

Second Round

France v. Greece

England v. Serbia

Germany v. USA

Argentina v. Mexico

Netherlands v. Paraguay

Brazil v. Chile

Italy v. Cameroon

Spain v. Portugal

QF1 Brazil v. Netherlands

QF2 England v. France

QF3 Argentina v. Germany

QF4 Spain v. Italy

SF1 Brazil v. England

SF2 Spain v. Argentina

3RD England v. Argentina

FINAL Spain v. Brazil

Champion Spain

C'mon boys. Time is here!!!

Let me add the first round

Group A - France and Mexico

Group B - Argentina and Greece

Group C - England and USA

Group D - Germany and Serbia

Group E - Netherlands and Cameroon

Group F - Italy and Paraguay

Group G - Brazil and Portugal

Group H - Spain and Chile

The rest I had already had and will leave the same. I guess I am very Eurocentric (Greece is looking stupid already).

El Mundial!!!

Brutal. But I'm still good from the Quarterfinals on as I only had France and Italy there and I had them both ending there.

Manu had a post last year saying that South American teams were underated. I guess you have been proben right.

quote:

quote:
BOO!!!

U!S!A! all da way!

US does not stand a chance...They had a good run in 02, but I dont see them going further than round of 16 this time.

I have to agree with this. A lot of Americans will be suprised with how good Slovenia is. I think USA will have done well if they make it out the group as the USA v Slovenia game is a 50/50 one. Germany, Australia and Serbia are also all better teams so I think they make 2nd round at best.

The world cup is always about upsets, so who knows.