Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

No surprise Messi FIFA player of the year.

FIFA/FIFPro World XI.

The XI, voted for by members of the international professional footballers' union FIFPro, were:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)[spain]

John Terry (Chelsea)[England]

Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)[serbia]

Patrice Evra (Man Utd)[France]

Daniel Alves (Barcelona)[brazil]

Xavi (Barcelona)[spain]

Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)[spain]

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)[England]

Lionel Messi (Barcelona)[Argentina]

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)[Portugal]

Fernando Torres (Liverpool)(Spain]

Interesting not to see Kaka, on the Fifa team being that he placed third in the overal vote (It wasn't even close, Messi's selection was overwelming).

1 Lionel Messi 1,073

2 Cristiano Ronaldo 352

3 Xavi 196

4 Kak

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

I hope Messi plays at least 25% in the National Team as he plays in Barcelona.

With that 25% we could be serious favorites to win it all.

His game last night against Arsenal was amazing.

I see why he's considered the best right now. No doubt.

I'm an Arsenal supporter and he destroyed us all on his own icon_frown.gif I'm just thankful Argentina aren't anywhere near as good as Barca are and that Messi seems to play poorly for Argentina, otherwise I would be very scared lol

Messi is playing out of his ****ing mind right now.I am simply amazed at his skill level and at this pace he will be the best soccer player ever!!!!

Now ManuGinobili, the style that Barcelona plays seems to be perfect for Messi and having a player like Xavi favor Messi a lot. Argentina's style is different (although they don't seem to have a style since Maradona took over) and although they have a lot of talent, they don't seem to click.

I am really rooting for Brazil and Argentina to represent us well in the WC.

61 days before kick off...

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

Messi is playing out of his ****ing mind right now.I am simply amazed at his skill level and at this pace he will be the best soccer player ever!!!!

To be in the discussion, you have to do it in the World Cup. Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff. They all dominated in the grandest of all stages.

We'll see. He's got talent that is out of this world, but I'll reserve "best ever" talk until he's proved it at that level.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

To be in the discussion, you have to do it in the World Cup. Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff. They all dominated in the grandest of all stages.

We'll see. He's got talent that is out of this world, but I'll reserve "best ever" talk until he's proved it at that level.

I agree totally with this post. Barring Cruyff they all won the world cup - Pele 3 times and thats on top of them dominating at club level.

To put it into context Pele scored over 1000 goals in his career. Messi currently has just over 130. Cruyff developed the cruyff turn and Maradona scored one of the greatest goals you will ever see at a world cup on top of these two having highly distinguished careers at club level.

Messi for Argentina has done absolutely nothing and until he does something on the world stage, there is just no way he should be mentioned in the same breath as those players yet.

If he carries on throughout his career the way he's started, then I think in the future he will be mentioned amongst those greatest of players, until then, I think people are being slightly over the top with their praise.

lol, Pele was like a combination of Wilt Chamberlain (as far as dominance) and Jordan (as far as skill) for soccer. I could watch videos of him all day long.