Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

I wouldn't rank Robinho that far up... he had at least a goal/assist/play made in pretty much every game. Kaka was definitely a huge letdown, though.

Wish Brazil had played with Elano, I think things would have been different.

I just numbered them as I thought of names...

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

I wouldn't rank Robinho that far up... he had at least a goal/assist/play made in pretty much every game. Kaka was definitely a huge letdown, though.

Wish Brazil had played with Elano, I think things would have been different.

I just numbered them as I thought of names...

Oh, never mind

quote:
Originally posted by Caco:

EnFuego, this kind of teams I was refering to when I told you there are many teams that can make life difficult for Spain even though Spain dominates the ball. And when I talked about how Spain lacked a world class player capable of creating a goal out of nothing, I was thinking of something like what Iniesta did. What a play!!!

Feel free to disagree with me, I don't want to make this post any longer LOL.

Every team, it seems, has made life difficult for Spain, yet they are still here, having outlasted all the other favorites.

If you are looking for a world class player capable of creating a goal out of nothing, look no further than David Villa who has scored in almost every imaginable way during this world cup. If he wins the golden boot, he'll be only the second European in history to do it in the World Cup and the Euro cup.

Germany is playing beautifully and they are the one remaining superpower left. We'll see what happens but I am proud on my Spaniards for having reached the semis.

It is an interesting foursome if you follow the history of the world cup.

Germany wins - 4th championship, matching Italy and one behind Brazil. continuing to separate the top three from the rest of the world.

Uruguay wins - 3rd championship and first one in 60 years. Would bring back the one cup winner that has not been a consistent contender in the last 40 years.

Holland wins - 1st championship. Holland finally joins the fraternity after two heartbreaking losses with the "total football" squads of the 70s. The best team never to have won truly deserves one, for Cruyff's sake.

Spain wins - the great under achiever finally gets the monkey off it's back. With perhaps the best generation of players the country has ever had, either Spain or Holland joins England and France as one time winners, but does it in foriegn soil.

I agree that Spain has shown character and belief in its game in this WC. Almost every team has played Spain the same way (defending with many men), and Spain has had a hard time to find spaces, but insisted in playing the same way and paid off.

I put David Villa as the best scorer of this WC in mi "porras" or "pencas", so I guess I expected him to play like this. He is on fire.

All I wanted to make clear is that every team is beatable, and every team has its strenghs and Achilles heels. Spain's I believe are teams that defend with many men and play good at counter attacks. Before the WC, many Spaniards believed they were unbeatable (not saying you did), and every team can be beaten.

Good luck against Germany, I truly believe Spain can beat them.

Germany has won in '74, '90 and if they win 2010 do they get to take the trophy home permanent like Brazil did in 1970? Or did FIFA changed that thing that if you win it 3 times it's yours.

IMO, Spain will win it all. They have the best striker in the Cup, they got lucky (the invalid offside on Paraguay's goal, the last 2 Villa goals), they have a GK in top form and they will face a Germany team already tired from beating 2 candidates and without its best player, Mueller.

The game between Holland and Uruguay is a toss-up. Uruguay will be without Suarez and Lugano, but the balls they have can more than make up for it. Lets also see how Holland plays when it has the ball, because thats precisely what they didnt do against Brazil.

My Top 5 Players of the Cup so far:

1- Mueller

2- Villa

3- Forlan

4- Stekelenburg

5- Maicon

quote:
Who has been so far the biggest disappointments?

1-Messi

2-Kaka

3-Robinho

4-Gerrard

5-Lampard

6-Ribery

7-Fernando Torres

8-Cristiano Ronaldo

9-Drogba (Has an excuse though)

As far as teams...

1-France

2-Italy

3-England

Agreed, but as far as teams, France deserves a whole new category for them, given how stupid their players are.

And Cristiano Ronaldo, a guy they paid 100M Euros, should be Top 3. I would say Messi, Rooney and C. Ronaldo, and then the rest.

Also, Julio Cesar, that was considered the best GK in the world (IMO he still is), made a huge screw up in Holland's 1st goal (not only Felipe Melo's fault)

quote:
Germany has won in '74, '90 and if they win 2010 do they get to take the trophy home permanent like Brazil did in 1970? Or did FIFA changed that thing that if you win it 3 times it's yours.

I think they changed, and this cup will still be in play until 2018, or sth like this.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

IMO, Spain will win it all. They have the best striker in the Cup, they got lucky (the invalid offside on Paraguay's goal, the last 2 Villa goals), they have a GK in top form and they will face a Germany team already tired from beating 2 candidates and without its best player, Mueller.

Iker is an excellent keeper and I've seen how many times he's saved Real Madrid and Spain. While he's a great keeper, Germany's offense a new different animal and Spain's defense is great when you look at each player individually, but as a defensive team they are pretty bad and leave a lot of holes.

Mueller has been the surprise of the WC and he's only 20. Spain must be thrilled he's not able to play against them. Villa has been awesome and deserves to win the "pichichi"

quote:
Mueller has been the surprise of the WC and he's only 20. Spain must be thrilled he's not able to play against them. Villa has been awesome and deserves to win the "pichichi"

Klose is also a freak. But I hate him so much, I think he is gonna quit on his team against Spain. With 2 goals he could be top scorer in WC history, but I dont think he will score any in the Semis.

quote:

The game between Holland and Uruguay is a toss-up. Uruguay will be without Suarez and Lugano, but the balls they have can more than make up for it. Lets also see how Holland plays when it has the ball, because thats precisely what they didnt do against Brazil.

My Top 5 Players of the Cup so far:

1- Mueller

2- Villa

3- Forlan

4- Stekelenburg

5- Maicon

It was an offside. Valdez was not offside but Cardozo was. As soon as Cardozo made a play for the ball (and he jumped towards the ball), the offside is called.

quote:

quote:

I think they changed, and this cup will still be in play until 2018, or sth like this.

"The current FIFA World Cup Trophy cannot be won outright, as the regulations state that it shall remain FIFA's own possession. The World Cup