ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

HAHAHAHAH yes. Good riddance, Maradona.

I'm just glad I don't have to see him naked

I'm hoping Paraguay wins though. Larissa Riquelme > Maradona by a few million miles.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

HAHAHAHAH yes. Good riddance, Maradona.

I'm just glad I don't have to see him naked

relief indeed

Ha well chuffed, put a bet on this morning for the Germans to win by more than 2 goals

Not really suprised that Argentina lost as I felt their defence was a big liability, Demechelis was awful all tournament, just felt that the moment they came across a team that was well organised at the back and had something to offer up front would be when they might struggle.

Still, I thought Argentina would have caused more problems when they attacked. It just looked like they had no plan B. They've torn through England and Argentina they must fancy beating Spain now surely.

Also, gutted Paruguay went out, they were my sweepstakes team at work.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

It's Villa time!

Ok, I missed it by one game.

Villa time again. Tough one against Germany but I have faith.

Ok, here go my comments on the quarterfinals.

Holland surprised everyone beating Brazil, although I think Brazil defeated themselves.

They dominated in the first half, and should have scored at least one more goal.

Then the own goal came, and a corner one (those can come at any time, it's not a great merit).

Brazil failed at overcoming a difficulty, and lost, but Holland was no better than them.

Uruguay defeated Ghana in the most intense match I have ever seen in the WC. I was jumping up and down and shouting as I never have. The happiest day of my "sport life" by far.

To those who think Suarez cheated, they don't know what they are talking about. He knew he would be sent off and a penalty would be given. If Gyan wasn't up to the moment, it's not Suarez fault. EVERY freaking player in the world would have done the same, knowing there's a huge chance of losing anyway. Changing the rule would be another discussion, although I wouldn't support that either.

The match was pretty even, I think Uruguay dominated the first 30 minutes, and most of the second half. The only moment Ghana was clearly better I think was the end of the first half and the second overtime.

The play of the penalty was an invented foul by the ref, who sistematically made the little calls in favor of Ghana. Besides Appiah was in offside when he shot the first time in that play.

I could be bashed for this, but I don't share that feeling of pity for the african teams. They were by far the most dirty teams of the tournament. Ivory Coast and Ghana especially made the hardest fouls of the tournament, many times intentionally. Lugano got injured (casual play), so did Lodeiro, who misses the rest of the WC. Fucile got almost unconsious on another play.

They are not angels, and I don't feel sorry at all for their elimination.

Germany became the WC favourite after destroying England and Argentina. They are very young, and it's scary to think how good they will be the next WC, if they are probably the best right now.

Argentina demonstrated that Maradona has no clue of what he is doing. Its defence sucks, and should have put Ag

Caco, I agree that the free kick should never have been given and I agree that I would have done exactly the same thing that Suarez did (I actually have done it during a match before) What many people have taken an issue with (and I'm one of them) was his attitude.

He was dancing around like an idiot when the penalty was missed and im sorry, if you're sent off you're banned from pitch side. Then, when he is interviewed after the match he says it is the 'real' hand of God. Firstly, he's not even 1/10th of what Maradona was as a player so it's a stupid statement and secondly he should be showing a bit of class and say - yes I handled the ball and I apologise for it but I had to do it to keep my country in the tournament and would do it again if I had the chance. He hasn't. instead he's acting like an arrogant *****.

The game itself was close and I, as a neutral, thought Ghana were the better team over 120 minutes. I don't like how they play though and do think Uruguay play the better football.

I wish you good luck against Holland, it's nice to see a less fancied team get so far. I do think this is the first top class team you're playing against in the tournament (the rest have been average and less fancied teams) so will be a real marker of how good this uruguay team is. I do think Holland are strong favourites to win the semi and Uruguay will have to put in an extremely strong performance to win.

Colombiano, that gif is very funny!!

Who has been so far the biggest disappointments?

1-Messi

2-Kaka

3-Robinho

4-Gerrard

5-Lampard

6-Ribery

7-Fernando Torres

8-Cristiano Ronaldo

9-Drogba (Has an excuse though)

As far as teams...

1-France

2-Italy

3-England

quote:

1-Messi

2-Kaka

3-Robinho

4-Gerrard

5-Lampard

6-Ribery

7-Fernando Torres

8-Cristiano Ronaldo

As far as teams...

1-France

2-Italy

3-England

Where's Rooney?? He was awful in EVERY game and that's coming from an Englishman!

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

quote:

1-Messi

2-Kaka

3-Robinho

4-Gerrard

5-Lampard

6-Ribery

7-Fernando Torres

8-Cristiano Ronaldo

10-Rooney

As far as teams...

1-France

2-Italy

3-England

Where's Rooney?? He was awful in EVERY game and that's coming from an Englishman!

I guess he was so bad I couldn't even remember he played the WC

I wouldn't rank Robinho that far up... he had at least a goal/assist/play made in pretty much every game. Kaka was definitely a huge letdown, though.

Wish Brazil had played with Elano, I think things would have been different.