Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

Now that the 32 teams are set.

Top 5: Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, Spain

Players to watch: C. Ronaldo, F. Torres, L. Messi, Kaka, D. Forlan, M. Ballack, D. Drogba, D. Villa, W. Rooney, T. Henry, M. Klose, R. Van Persie, Robinho, S. Gerrard, J. Mascherano, J. Cesar, S. Ramos

Surprises: Ghana, Paraguay, Cameroon, Uruguay

[edited to change title to avoid confusion]

-lewis4thewin

Grande argentino!!!

It seems you and me will be the only ones posting in this thread.

You should edit the title and specify you are talking about football (fulbo) or soccer so they get it.

I'm sorry, I don't see Argentina doing very well with Maradona as head coach. You are playing horrible, and it's all on him. I predict Argentina losing in quarter finals again.

I don't think Italy will do well either. I would change those two for Netherlands and perhaps Germany or Portugal. And there is usually one or two surprises.

Also, England has no keeper at all. The only one is James and he has a weird injury in his shoulder. He always needs two days to recover after a match.

Uruguay won't do very well either. Our coach sucks, and we are not good when we can't play counter attack. Probably will lose in the first round, perhaps second if Forl

I wouldnt count any of the top 6 out (my 5 and Germany) because the champions is always one of this group. I disregard Holland because they always fall short in the WC. And I include Spain because if they dont win it this time, they wont win it ever.

Nobody gave a penny for Italy before WC 2006, but they won it all, on luck (penalties in final), ref help (invented penalty against Australia), easy schedule (Aussies in round of 16, Ukraine in quarter finals) and a great courage display (Germany in Semis).

When Brazil comes as candidate, they dont win it all (remember 98 and 06), but when they come from behind, they do (94 and 02). So we will see how they fare.

I dont blame Maradona for our bad play in the 2nd half of the qualifying, even though he has not much tactic knowledge. I blame the absolute poor performance by who is supposedly the best in the world, the lack of a tall striker and very bad games by players who got their money up on their heads and dont give a **** about playing for pride (especially Tevez, Mascherano, Aguero and Messi).

You guys could scare any team because in any given day, Forlan could strike from 30m with his left and still score, and your defense can kick people down until they die, especially Lugano and Caceres, so I can see you as surprise in South Africa. Plus, Suarez, Gimenez, Abreu, Godin, Scotti good names.

I want in on the WC chat too - this is pretty much my main sport!

I'm pretty much going to be watching as a neutral since my wee team, Northern Ireland, failed to qualify again (not since Spain '82). I'm a huge Liverpool fan though so I would like to see Spain do well and I fancy them as favourites. If they play to their best ability I can't see anyone beating them but I really wouldn't be surprised if they choke again.

For the Liverpool reasons again I will keep an interest in Argentina but, for the reasons Caco said (i.e. Maradonna) I don't think they will reach the heights their talent should. And I just want to see Messi turn the world's finest inside-out.

England will once again sail in on all the hype, then crash out on penalties again, I reckon quarter-finals against an outsider.

Brazil may be the team Spain play in the finals but I don't think they can go the full distance.

If the Netherlands manage to play like they did in the first half of Euro 2008 then they would be a good shout, that was sexy football until they started to slack off.

I fancy Serbia as a dark horse since no one really knows much about them and these eastern european teams play hard with a lot of heart.

And purely for the spectacle, I hope South Africa last as long as possible - usually once the hosts go out the hype and hysteria dies a bit so I want them to stay in as long as their completely useless team can.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

I wouldnt count any of the top 6 out (my 5 and Germany) because the champions is always one of this group. I disregard Holland because they always fall short in the WC. And I include Spain because if they dont win it this time, they wont win it ever.

Nobody gave a penny for Italy before WC 2006, but they won it all, on luck (penalties in final), ref help (invented penalty against Australia), easy schedule (Aussies in round of 16, Ukraine in quarter finals) and a great courage display (Germany in Semis).

When Brazil comes as candidate, they dont win it all (remember 98 and 06), but when they come from behind, they do (94 and 02). So we will see how they fare.

I dont blame Maradona for our bad play in the 2nd half of the qualifying, even though he has not much tactic knowledge. I blame the absolute poor performance by who is supposedly the best in the world, the lack of a tall striker and very bad games by players who got their money up on their heads and dont give a **** about playing for pride (especially Tevez, Mascherano, Aguero and Messi).

You guys could scare any team because in any given day, Forlan could strike from 30m with his left and still score, and your defense can kick people down until they die, especially Lugano and Caceres, so I can see you as surprise in South Africa. Plus, Suarez, Gimenez, Abreu, Godin, Scotti good names.

I really think Argentina would be a totally different team with another coach. And I mean almost any other coach.

I know you were playing awful with Basile, but you could have turned to anyone, still you hired Maradona.

Maradona is emotionally and mentally unstable, and that translates into nervous and boneheaded play from his players. He also is bad as a coach and that's a fact.

Messi should not be bringing the ball up the field like Maradona did in his time, he is at his best in the last 30 meters.

Tevez is not a star, he is a very good player, who tries to do too much when he is playing (in part because he is usually a sub, and when he comes in Argentina is already playing badly).

Ag

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Ireland got hosed. I will be rooting against France with all my might. And that's a lot of might.

that sucked so hard - this is why sepp blatter and the old guard need to naff off with their old-school 'love of the game' guff and bring in TV refs, every year there are so many dodgy decisions that could easily be fixed with taking 60 seconds to consult a video official. Ever watch rugby? The suspense of waiting for those decisions is incredible and improves the game, not detracts from it. Why are sports always headed by guys who love themselves more than the sport: Blatter, Stern, Max Mossley etc

Irish are FUMING over this game!!

I heard even the Justice Minister is asking for them to replay the game. I dont think it will happen though, since this would make every badly refereed game to be played again. But it was definitely a shocker.

Video Replay must be set for the WC, I think.

quote:

Video Replay must be set for the WC, I think.

would love it but it will never happen whilst blatter still holds the reins. next FIFA president elections are 2011 so we will just have to sit and hope that the next guy has more sense

quote:

oh, and absolutely!

but I blame the officals more than henry

Manu, Argentina will always be a top team, but with they way they're playing?? I'm not sure if they'll go to far. I have always rooted for our teams in the WC and always will. I am hoping all 5 teams make it to the second round and I'm hoping Argentina and Maradona and Messi get their act togehter and start playing like they should. You guys have a lot of talent.

Brazil will always be the team to beat and I don't see much pressure on them. I also see their only competittion is Spain. Spain is a heck of a team that has a luxury bench. Best keeper in the world and their forwards are awesome!

England? Not too sure about them. They're always a good team on paper, but they usually fall short just like "Naranja mecanica"

Italy, I hate they way the play, but they some how win. I hope I don't have too see another WC final with them.

My top teams are Brazil, Spain, England, Argentina and Germany.

I'm hoping the final is between Brazil and Spain.

quote:
Originally posted by adsm:

quote:

oh, and absolutely!

but I blame the officals more than henry

Henry is the new Maradona.