Sign in to follow this  
Warlock

The Twin Towers - A way to toughen up defense?

Against the Bobcats Van Gundy tried The Twin Towers strategy again, with Gortat and Howard together. This time it worked much better than against OKC.

With them in the line-up our defense got much stronger, making Tyson Chandler and Nazr Mohammed pick up some quick fouls.

Gortat had also 4 blocks, twince on D.J. Augustina and one on Chandler. His freethrows are also much better than last year. He had 3 nice offensive boards (5 total rebounds) and 2 steals.

I still don't like his shooting though. Sometimes he totally air balls a hook shot, he really has to improve on that to become an effective shooter. Right now he is mostly just setting screens in the attack and getting some easy lay-ups and dunks, or the points he picks from an offensive rebound. His jumpshot from midrange is still ok for a center.

So should Van Gundy try the The Twin Towers when we get sloppy on defense, to toughen us up? Because of Gortat's low point average we won't get much points, but because of the defense and blocks our opponents won't get much points either.

Against the Bobcats Van Gundy tried The Twin Towers strategy again, with Gortat and Howard together. This time it worked much better than against OKC.

With them in the line-up our defense got much stronger, making Tyson Chandler and Nazr Mohammed pick up some quick fouls.

Gortat had also 4 blocks, twince on D.J. Augustina and one on Chandler. His freethrows are also much better than last year. He had 3 nice offensive boards (5 total rebounds) and 2 steals.

I still don't like his shooting though. Sometimes he totally air balls a hook shot, he really has to improve on that to become an effective shooter. Right now he is mostly just setting screens in the attack and getting some easy lay-ups and dunks, or the points he picks from an offensive rebound. His jumpshot from midrange is still ok for a center.

So should Van Gundy try the The Twin Towers when we get sloppy on defense, to toughen us up? Because of Gortat's low point average we won't get much points, but because of the defense and blocks our opponents won't get much points either.

Without R.A. playing (no big matchup advantage and spreading the floor at PF anyway), it should be good idea to use it tomorrow against Cavs and their PF-C foursome of: Verajao, Shaq, Hickson and Z. Maybe better than using Barnes at PF becouse Cavs front line is really tall strong and phisical.

And if Dwight get close to foul trouble Gortat can step in and guard Shaq, that could be big advantage becouse tommorow we really need Supermen on the floor as long as it's possible to have a chance against Cavs.

Use it rom bench of course, Bass in starting lineup.

About Gortat, only one thing I don't like about his game this season. Overall he plays ok, didn't expect much more from Warlock but sometimes he just takes really bad shots and most of the times that weren't deep into shot clock situations when you could explain that bad decision making.

Still it doesn't make his FG % look bad but when Shard and Anderson start playing again I don't see any chance of finding playing time for twin tower. Gortat points per minute production is to low and they didn't figure it out how to use with with Dwight on the floor together.

No... That is the Caves game, not ours. It hasn't even looked good on defense... We need to go small with matt barnes at 4; a lot of the game.

We need to start bass at for but close with barnes at 4.

We need space for howard to work and to get driving lanes on offense. We also need quicker players vs pick and role play.

Gortat at 4 is not the answer.

starting with:

howard/gortat

Bass/barnes/gortat

Barnes/mp

Carter/jj

Nelson/williams

Ending with

Howard

Barnes

Carter

MP

Nelson

This should work better today.

I am torn. If Barnes can play his best game then I prefer Barnes. But if for any reason he is having an off night, I would do the twin towers thing if for nothing else but for defense & rebounds.

Another way to look at it is LBJ will have to settle for jump shots all night if we go with the Twin towers. He remembers how both Gortat and Howard block his shots.

Imo, Yes, & it doesn't matter who's available.

Here's the problem with it however...

It's a lineup that needs to be developed. SVG is not committed to it & only uses it out of desperation. Therefore, it will never earn his confidence, and never receive the time to develop. If we didn't see it extensively during preseason, we won't. Instead, we'll continue to whine about defense while bombing away from the 3-pt. line.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Imo, Yes, & it doesn't matter who's available.

Here's the problem with it however...

It's a lineup that needs to be developed. SVG is not committed to it & only uses it out of desperation. Therefore, it will never earn his confidence, and never receive the time to develop. If we didn't see it extensively during preseason, we won't. Instead, we'll continue to whine about defense while bombing away from the 3-pt. line.

Took the words right out of my mouth. +10000