Sign in to follow this  
Courtskils

Paul Shirley on Mr. Vazquez

Here is a copy of a post by Ghost of John Gabriel on the matter:

quote:

Ghost of John Gabriel dated January 24,2007

In regards to the Vazquez 2005 draft debacle:

Otis has taken a lot of heat for this pick, but the truth is that Otis isn't responsible for this pick AT ALL!!!

Everybody knows this was B. Hill's baby.

No pre-draft workout, no pre-draft interview. Yet, B. Hill, high on the belief his rehiring was some sort of mandate, rode into the Magic war room, and bullied his way past the lack of authority Otis had as only half of the 2 headed GM, and got the weak link, Dave "The Moron" to support him in picking Vazquez. Otis did not support this pick at the time, AT ALL!!! He's towed the company line and it's taken him where he currently is, but don't mistake his recent comments as anything more than that.

If you recall, on draft night, it was B. Hill taking center stage and taking all the credit for this pick. Bristling at the notion Vazquez was an unkown quality drafted ahead of more well known college standouts like Sean May. Questioning the credentials of the media who suggested the pick was a reach. Claiming the fact Vazquez hadn't come in for workouts, an interview, or so much as had a conversation with Vazquez was unimportant because he personally knew Fran's Euro coach and he vouched for him. B. Hill was "comfortable" with the situation.

B. Hill warned the skeptics they would be proven wrong on that night. On that night, he was making comparisions to Pau Gasol, and positioning himself to look like the genius responsible for this pick down the line. On that night B. Hill was perched high atop his new throne and he's been hiding behind it ever since it blew up in his face only a few short weeks later when Fran signed a contract oversea's without so much as a conversation with the Magic. Now we come to find out this clown got out of that contract and signed a new 4 year deal with another team in Europe. Again, leaving the Magic to find out with the rest of the world and leaving the organization to look like a group of second rate hacks.

B. Hill left Otis twisting in the wind while he was being labled half of the tweedle dee and tweedel dumb GM team. Otis has kept his distance from this train wreck for a very good reason. He wasn't responsible for creating it. What's amussing is that the man truly responsible for the pick has curiously distanced himself from the pick as well. Napolean is the real tweedle dumb and a real coward who refuses to accept responsibility for his dirty diaper dandy. A developing trend!

B. Hill left his boy Dave holding the bag on this one and it got him demoted to scout while Otis was rightfully given the job outright. The Magic organization is far to classy to air it's dirty laundry in public, but trust me when I tell you this draft pick is the sole reason we no longer have Co-GM's and the only reason Dave still has a job is because it wasn't primarily his fault. Justice would be somebody in the media recounting the truth behind this story and forcing B. Hill to answer for this incompetent blunder!

Instead, he continues to leave Otis, the one member in the top tier of the organization who oppossed the drafting of Vazquez, to answer questions and take the heat for this error in not only judgement but talent & character evaluation he had nothing to do with. If anything, this further demonstrates that Otis is indeed the man for this job because despite not supporting the pick, he has accepted the responsibility he inherited like a man!!!

Just imagine if this team had Danny Granger or Gerald Green in the mix today. Heck, I'd settle for Sean May, Antione Wright, Hakim Warrick, or even Jarrett Jack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Ghost of John Gabriel, January 24, 2007 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I'm sorry but I gotta say this. How do you guys know it was Brian that wanted to draft him cause I never saw anything in the media before, during or after the draft that implicated him. Also, Otis has a mind of his own. He was in charge or the boss so to speak. I know if my boss doesn't feel comfortable making a decision in my school he won't do it.

Unless you guys that are blaming Brian for this pick can prove it with something other than pure speculation I think it is an undeserved crticism.

I am disappointed in you junkie. This matter has been discussed several times and you have been apart of those discussions. The Ghost of Gabriel gave satisfactory answers showing Brian Hill was the one that made the Vasquez pick and that Otis did not have the authority needed at the time. The Ghost went on to explain how Otis has taken the rap even though Brian made the decision. Brian also went public at the time of the pick stating that the fans would see that Vasquez was the right pick.

I think you are crossing the line and being argumentive with this Brian Hill Vasquez matter.

The reason you accepted the notorios S.A.C.'s friend surgeon story is because you already knew Brian Hill was responsible.

Come on, let's be on the up and up.

The Ghost is cool. I enjoy reading his posts. Can you get the Ghost to re-post his thoughts and his sources?

I want links and facts. I don't want somebody's opinion. If you can prove it I'll be happy to give credit where it is deserved.

quote:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/88910298...933?r=9691087933#969

You can also read the following thread on the matter:

"Fran Vasquez was Hill's idea not mine"...Otis Smith..

Solution, Ghost is cool. But he is just a poster like everybody else on here.

For the second time...what is the Ghost's source? Please provide links other than a another link from this fan message board.

Also, in the link you provided even the Ghost himself didn't put "all" the blame on Brian. He implicated Dave Twardzik and Brian as the ones who wanted to draft Fran.

Otis still has a say as others on that thread commented.

I still want the sources for proof. So far all you have is a message board that provides speculation by one of it's participants.

Read the thread Junkie.

quote:
FROM The Ghost:

These are indisputable facts:

On draft night, B. Hill, not Otis, not Dave, took the stage and defended the pick. B. Hill

compared Fran to Pau Gasol. Told the media who questioned the pick they would be proven wrong. Claimed the fact Fran had not worked out or been interviewed by the Magic was not a concern because he was friends with Fran's Euro coach. Claimed to have a lot of insight into Fran's game and personality because of this friendship with his coach.

Call everything thing else garbage, this is indisputable fact. These were B. Hill words.

quote:

Read the thread Junkie.

quote:
FROM The Ghost:

These are indisputable facts:

On draft night, B. Hill, not Otis, not Dave, took the stage and defended the pick. B. Hill

compared Fran to Pau Gasol. Told the media who questioned the pick they would be proven wrong. Claimed the fact Fran had not worked out or been interviewed by the Magic was not a concern because he was friends with Fran's Euro coach. Claimed to have a lot of insight into Fran's game and personality because of this friendship with his coach.

Call everything thing else garbage, this is indisputable fact. These were B. Hill words.

Solution, this is the last time I'm responding unless you provide sources and links from something other than this message board.

Twardzik & Smith named Assistant GM's

June 27, 2005

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Twardzik__Smith_Named_Assista-145418-800.html

(One Day Later)

NBA draft was June 28, 2005

Orlando Magic chose with the 11th pick Fran Vasquez.

Otis Smith promoted to General Manager

May 3, 2006

http://www.nba.com/magic/Chat_Transcript__Otis_Smtih-183417-800.html

Otis and Twardzik were assistant GM's for one day before the Vasquez pick. Twardzik with Brian 's strong recommendation made the decision. Otis knew nothing about Fran except what he was told by Twardzik and Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/88910298...933?r=9691087933#969

You can also read the following thread on the matter:

"Fran Vasquez was Hill's idea not mine"...Otis Smith..

Solution, Ghost is cool. But he is just a poster like everybody else on here.

For the second time...what is the Ghost's source? Please provide links other than a another link from this fan message board.

Also, in the link you provided even the Ghost himself didn't put "all" the blame on Brian. He implicated Dave Twardzik and Brian as the ones who wanted to draft Fran.

Otis still has a say as others on that thread commented.

I still want the sources for proof. So far all you have is a message board that provides speculation by one of it's participants.

Junkie, as Solution as already stated, the history of draft night speaks for itself. I'm not saying this to be an azz, but if you could pull news clips from draft night, and go to the library and pull the sentinel from the days following the draft, you'd see exactly what I've said. I recall those media comments, what can I say.

I also had a friend who was working for RDV at the time. He was a sports management major, but he was essentially a glorified PR person. This is why he left, but he also had insight into what was happening within the organization. Realistically, it only confirms what was obvious.

To recall the events that are undisputed fact of that night...

Otis & Dave were named Co-GM's literally 1 day prior to the draft. You can probably find an article on this very website that will confirm this fact. B. Hill had been in place for about a month. Who do you believe wielded more authority at that point?

Following the draft, B. Hill took the mic, not the Co-GM's and again, this is fact. Compare that to this years draft and there's an obvious difference.

Hill compared Fran to Pau Gasol, he was resentful of the media questioning the pick over a player like Sean May who was fresh off the heels of a dominate NCAA performance. I'm paraphrasing, but his comments we're along the lines of, we evaluate players for a living. Very similiar to the you don't see practice comments regarding Redick.

B. Hill dismissed concerns the team hadn't worked out or interview Fran because he was friends with Fran's Euro coach. His exact quote on that night was that he was "comfortable" with the situation. He also stated that Fran was the most NBA ready front court player in the draft. Regardless, this was obviously a misevaluation of talent. These are facts.

Take the rest with a grain of salt, but B. Hill was the one defending and championing this pick on draft night and that speaks volumes on it's own. Add the fact that Dave Twardwhatever was the oversea's scout who scouted Fran and you can draw a pretty reseasonable assumption on those facts alone.

Now, the truth of the matter is, the Magic would have taken Charlie Villenuvuea (sp) had he been available. After he was selected, the path was cleared to take Fran, and the Magic did.

Solution, I am shocked that Otis never saw this guy. You just painted Otis in a terrible way in my opinion. How can you be the GM of an NBA basketball team and not even see a guy that you are drafting? That is un-believably irresponsible for a guy that was not a rookie GM. Wasn't Otis a GM for Golden State before he came here?

Also Solution, the links you provided are things that I have already read. There was "nothing" in there that implicated Brian as being guilty. Solution, you are still avoiding the main point. Even if Brian did suggest, which he probably did, to draft Fran it is still Otis responsibility to do his homework. Based on what you have shown me here Dave pushed for Fran but Otis just assumed things. In my job I have in the real world assuming things can get you in trouble sometimes. Solution, if you were in Otis shoes wouldn't you have at least watched him workout or talked to the guy before drafting someone when you are the guy "in charge" of picking a new player for your team?

Ghost, you keep saying these things are un-disputed facts. You even mention going to the library and pulling clips from the Sentinel. You also mentioned what sounded like a student intern giving you information.

If these things implicating Brian were in the Sentinel could you provide the links? Also, I'm not saying your friend's opinion is a lie. But honestly, you have to admit if your only source is a student intern who was not employed for a very long time if you are me can you see how I would be very skeptical?