Sign in to follow this  
Courtskils

Paul Shirley on Mr. Vazquez

I hate Brian Hill as much as the next guy... very possibly more! But I must say that I agree with Junkie on this one. Brian Hill has screwed up so many times that it is easy to hate him, but to put the blame on him when there is no concrete evidence is childish to me. Now if there is indeed evidence that it was his pick, and he brainwashed Otis into thinking it was the right pick than I will be the first to admit I was wrong. The final decision was from Otis/Dave, so it should fall on their shoulders.

I am not screaming "fire Otis" over this either. As much as I hated the pick when we made it, and obviously still hate it now, it was a one time mistake. Otis has said the right things and made the right moves to make me believe that he is in a good position to build a championship caliber team. Also Fran just might have some value as a deal sweetener this offseason.

quote:
Originally posted by New Managment Please:

Shut up Junkie! I'm tired of your Pro-Hill attitude.

I have no problem with crticizing coaching or wanting a coach fired. It goes with the territory. I've done it many times myself this year. But the "hate" that fumes from the mouths of the Fire Brian crew is really disturbing.

It is ruining this board. Guys, even if Brian Hill comes back the Magic have a lot to build on with a young team. All is not lost, yet.(lol)

quote:
But Brian Hill's friend told him he was the next "Dirk" and we all know Brian is right about EVERYTHING!

is his friend on crack?

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

I hate Brian Hill as much as the next guy... very possibly more! But I must say that I agree with Junkie on this one. Brian Hill has screwed up so many times that it is easy to hate him, but to put the blame on him when there is no concrete evidence is childish to me. Now if there is indeed evidence that it was his pick, and he brainwashed Otis into thinking it was the right pick than I will be the first to admit I was wrong. The final decision was from Otis/Dave, so it should fall on their shoulders.

I am not screaming "fire Otis" over this either. As much as I hated the pick when we made it, and obviously still hate it now, it was a one time mistake. Otis has said the right things and made the right moves to make me believe that he is in a good position to build a championship caliber team. Also Fran just might have some value as a deal sweetener this offseason.

Totally agree.

One of my best friends is a surgeon who did surgery on Otis' daughter and asked him point blank.,..whats up with fran...Otis shook his head and said, "that was brian's hand picked player on recommendation from frans euro coach...most of the staff wanted Sean May"....then shook his head again. You can be blind to Hill and his stupidity if you want but what otis said was fact....period..end of story.

If brian stays prepare for a bigger dose of garrity next year! If you love brian Im sure you love garrity too! It will be another 30 win season of nirvana for you...

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

One of my best friends is a surgeon who did surgery on Otis' daughter and asked him point blank.,..whats up with fran...Otis shook his head and said, "that was brian's hand picked player on recommendation from frans euro coach...most of the staff wanted Sean May"....then shook his head again. You can be blind to Hill and his stupidity if you want but what otis said was fact....period..end of story.

If brian stays prepare for a bigger dose of garrity next year! If you love brian Im sure you love garrity too! It will be another 30 win season of nirvana for you...

Then Otis is not very smart because being the person in charge he has to listen to the advice of his co-workers but ultimately the decision is his. After gathering up all the information Otis can garner he must decide with his "own" brain the best choice. That's what my boss does.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Then Otis is not very smart because being the person in charge he has to listen to the advice of his co-workers but ultimately the decision is his. After gathering up all the information Otis can garner he must decide with his "own" brain the best choice. That's what my boss does.

At the time he wasn't the man in charge. He was promoted to Co GM along with Twardzik only a couple of weeks before the draft and after Hill had alread been hired. He was a brand new GM that probably didn't want to make waves, especially since Hill and Twardzik were both for the move.

LOL you act like we hired phil jackson or jerry west as a gm....yeah i can see it now otis is going to make waves as the new gm and tell our ownership to kiss his *** as his first move. whatever brian wanted thats what van der weide and devos wanted....its what they owed him for firing him the first time...otis went from janitor to gm as fast as chris jent went from head coach to high school coach and he wasnt going to say a thing.

Otis is smart enough to know he could blame brian and get a few more years as gm, fire brian, then milk another year or two of his gm salary...which is more than he made as a player.

quote:

LOL you act like we hired phil jackson or jerry west as a gm....yeah i can see it now otis is going to make waves as the new gm and tell our ownership to kiss his *** as his first move. whatever brian wanted thats what van der weide and devos wanted....its what they owed him for firing him the first time...otis went from janitor to gm as fast as chris jent went from head coach to high school coach and he wasnt going to say a thing.

Otis is smart enough to know he could blame brian and get a few more years as gm, fire brian, then milk another year or two of his gm salary...which is more than he made as a player.

S.A.C. you can spin it any way you want, the bottom line here is Otis and Dave are responsible for the pick. I can "garuntee" you if I'm in the same postion as those two I would lean on my own instincts after gathering all the information. "Especially" if success and my reputation as a GM were on the line. If I don't feel comfortable, I'm not making the pick. Bottom line.

Im no Otis fan B/c I think his trade for darko gave up too much and he also sounds illiterate when he speaks amongst other things, but thats a different topic. However, when david stern goes up to the podium he doesnt say "with the 11th pick Otis smith selects...fran vasquez"...he says, "the orlando magic select...fran vasquez." The team selects...otis can agree or not...and he didnt...what do you expect him to do resign...come out and say i didnt want fran...brian did...

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I'm sorry but I gotta say this. How do you guys know it was Brian that wanted to draft him cause I never saw anything in the media before, during or after the draft that implicated him. Also, Otis has a mind of his own. He was in charge or the boss so to speak. I know if my boss doesn't feel comfortable making a decision in my school he won't do it.

Unless you guys that are blaming Brian for this pick can prove it with something other than pure speculation I think it is an undeserved crticism.

I am disappointed in you junkie. This matter has been discussed several times and you have been apart of those discussions. The Ghost of Gabriel gave satisfactory answers showing Brian Hill was the one that made the Vasquez pick and that Otis did not have the authority needed at the time. The Ghost went on to explain how Otis has taken the rap even though Brian made the decision. Brian also went public at the time of the pick stating that the fans would see that Vasquez was the right pick.

I think you are crossing the line and being argumentive with this Brian Hill Vasquez matter.

The reason you accepted the notorios S.A.C.'s friend surgeon story is because you already knew Brian Hill was responsible.

Come on, let's be on the up and up.