Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

O-Tiz: Failed Watson deal got personal

quote:
Magic GM Otis Smith said Golden State Warriors PG C.J. Watson was one of the few free agents he wanted that got away.

Smith said that, in the end, negotiations with the Warriors "got personal," although he wouldn't elaborate.

Smith tried to acquire Watson, 25, in an apparently generous sign-and-trade attempt after the Warriors made it clear they would match offers for the restricted free agent. The offer was believed to involve various combinations of a first-round draft pick, cash and a player (believed to be Anthony Johnson).

"You wouldn't believe what we offered them," Smith said. "I think it got personal."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...ct04,0,3404582.story

quote:
Magic GM Otis Smith said Golden State Warriors PG C.J. Watson was one of the few free agents he wanted that got away.

Smith said that, in the end, negotiations with the Warriors "got personal," although he wouldn't elaborate.

Smith tried to acquire Watson, 25, in an apparently generous sign-and-trade attempt after the Warriors made it clear they would match offers for the restricted free agent. The offer was believed to involve various combinations of a first-round draft pick, cash and a player (believed to be Anthony Johnson).

"You wouldn't believe what we offered them," Smith said. "I think it got personal."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...ct04,0,3404582.story

I was wondering the same thing. He didn't want to go into specifics, but it looks like the Warriors have some grudge.

Well the whole team and organization is in a downward spiral. StephJack wants out, Monta says he can't play with Curry. Everything's a mess. Maybe their front office is too?

Offering a 1st round pick,cash and AJ would have been worse than drafting JJ in the 1st round. I am thrilled this deal did not go down because you can't keep trading picks every year. Pretty soon your team is full of past their prime, overpaid players. Not to mention Watson is not that great of a player, J-Will and AJ will be fine and we can take a PG with our 1st round pick next year.

GSW is my third favorite team, well behind Orlando obviously, and whatever-team-Chris-Paul-is-on, but stories like this might change that.

I'm thrilled from Orlando's perspective that didn't happen, but HOW does GSW not do this deal for their third string point guard? Okay I understand not wanting A.J. in an uptempo offense, but a first round pick too??

They've lost their minds up there. Someone should start a "Free C.J." petition.

In 2010, hopefully we can get a young point guard in the next draft.. and then address other team needs with our MLE and/or Biannual Exception.

quote:
Originally posted by wowski:

It got personal after Otis matched Dallas's offer for gortat, the don/donnie nelson connection perhaps?

Good point, but would be very unprofessional of GSW to let family ties to a third team interrupt business between the two teams.

They should have been all over that deal. CJ won't be a factor there this year. And he won't be there next year. Any smart franchise is all over a first rounder, cash, and an expiring trading chip.

When CJ signs with us next season...Golden State will surely regret not getting in on that.

quote:
Originally posted by AddiFB:

quote:
Originally posted by wowski:

It got personal after Otis matched Dallas's offer for gortat, the don/donnie nelson connection perhaps?

Good point, but would be very unprofessional of GSW to let family ties to a third team interrupt business between the two teams.

We're talking about the Nelson's here. There's not a professional bone in their collective bodies, particularly from the neck up.

I'm over not getting Watson but is there a worse run organization than the Warriors right now? I mean how many players have said they want out? At least I understand what some bad teams are trying to do by some of the moves they make; How many 1s and 2s does that team have?