Sign in to follow this  
Diplo

Magic No Longer Favorites For Watson [update p.47]

quote:
Originally posted by God hates Magic fans:

Nice! I like this but I can't help but think they match, maybe we comp them with a pick for cash?

They have Ellis, Curry, Speedy Claxton, & Acie Law as PGs on that roster, lol.

With that many PGs, I'm kinda doubting they match for CJ....but you never know.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicCarter15:

if we sign watson,we have the part of the mle to sing barnes, warfer,daniels or carney?

no. even though it hasn't been reported yet, but if we're using the $1.8 left of our MLE, we're out of money if we get this guy. Only leaving us with vet mins to get players.

If we get Watson, all I think we need is Powell and Hendrix and we will be set. Cant wait for the season to start.

PG...Meer/Watson/No Neck

SG...Vince/Pietrus/Powell

SF...Shard/Pietrus/Anderson

PF...Bass/Anderson/Hendrix

C...Dwight/Gortat/Hendrix

VERY SOLID.

Yea Baby!!! O-TIZ is running ****. If they don't match this is a tremendous pickup. He would be the perfect backup and he's young too. Very Nice!

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by Bauncey Chillups:

Nyce, a Keyon Dooling lite. I'll take him.

That say's a lot! Half of Keyon's energy is twice the output of AJ! I still like AJ, he has a higher BB IQ than Keyon, but.....well we will leave it there!

bbq.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by Bauncey Chillups:

Nyce, a Keyon Dooling lite. I'll take him.

That say's a lot! Half of Keyon's energy is twice the output of AJ! I still like AJ, he has a higher BB IQ than Keyon, but.....well we will leave it there!

bbq.jpg

As expected ...LOL!

from dsg2021 on realgm:

quote:
Wow, after looking at him and his stats, he's a real gem in the rough. I really like him and I actually think the Warriors may match..

Going to the negative first, his stats suggest he's a poor distributer. Like I mean, Nelson is a score first PG, but he is still dishing 5.4 APG. This dude is at 2.7 APG.. I think some of it might be GSW way of life, but we'll see as his career progresses. This might suggest Magic might play him as a combo guard or they believe his style is just score first PG, I agree with the latter. I don't know about his defense enough either, he's only 6-2 but Magic and us fans haven't really been looking at big guards either, but he's quick and young. That can always improve if its poor or average right now.

Going to the positive, he's young at 25. He has just two years of NBA experience, but he improved in every single category from his 1st yr to his 2nd yr, this last season. Just a glance at that Youtube vid provided shows his quickness and slashing game. But he likes to slash alot to shoot closer in. And that's actually great, because he's a deadly shooter. He came into the league shooting 42 fg% and 34 3p%, but he upped it last season to a highly impressive 45 fg% and 40 3p%. So he has that beautiful long range 3pnt shot Magic highly covet. And his stats/career suggest it wasnt a 2nd yr outlier, it should stay hold or improve. He also grabbed 2.5 boards per game and 1.2 steals per game in his 24 minutes per game average, so the steal rate is nice and might allude to a decent defense too actually. His other great positive is FT shooting at 79% his 1st season, 87% this last season. Not only that, but because he likes to slash to score, he got sent to the line 2.5 times per game which is nice and slightly higher than normal, and this is a big plus. In essential, hes a accurate, scoring PG who's still quite young. That's a real gem in the rough right there IMO. I did not see this coming at all, but I really hope they can grab him from GSW. Overall, I really like everything Im reading about him.

Here is Hollinger's take on C.J. Watson and alot of this I took along with stats and what I've seen from him to describe above, altho note this is last updated roughly a year ago:

2007-08 season: Called up from the D-League after a very strong half-season, Watson also played reasonably well in 32 games with Golden State. He shot fairly well in both stops, hitting 40 percent on 3s at the NBDL's Rio Grande Valley and 34.6 percent for the Warriors, a tough feat considering how sporadic his minutes were once he joined the Warriors.

Scouting report: Though he's a 6-2 point guard, Watson is more of a slashing scorer in the Bobby Jackson mold than a pure point guard. His assist ratios were quite low at both Golden State and Rio Grande Valley (side note: Isn't the Rio Grande like a thousand miles long? Is a "Nile Valley" franchise far behind? Can we be a little more specific here, D-League people?), and he had an extremely high rate of free throws in the D-League. He's a good foul shooter too, so if he can get to the stripe in the pros he'll stick around for a while.

2008-09 outlook: Watson re-signed with Golden State and stands to benefit from the injury to Monta Ellis, as he and Marcus Williams are the only healthy point guards on the Warriors' roster. Don Nelson's style doesn't really demand him to be a distributor, so he's a good fit here, and based on how well he played last season he has a good shot to gain a foothold in the league and stick around for half a decade or so.

GSW's Situation- Why they might/might not Match:

GSW has Monta Ellis, Acie Law, Speedy Claxton, and newly drafted Stephen Curry for the PG spots. That's alot of players for PG, but Curry and Ellis are combo guards.

That still means Ellis is the starting PG tho, b/c that's how GSW wants it. They dont need pass first PGs, not their style.

Acie Law and Speedy Claxton were acquired recently from ATL, and both serve as expiring contracts. It can be assumed Claxton is to be little used, he is 31, 5-11 in height, and has been statistically free-falling the last 2 seasons due to injuries.

Acie Law is still young, and has only played 2 seasons and less minutes per game than C.J. Watson did, but the stats and looks seem to show Law is a step below of Watson at the moment. I don't know if GSW will use him, but its very possible.

Stephen Curry is just drafted, has not shot the ball well in summer league (teams rarely care about SL play tho), but everything else - his PG skills, creating, overall playing has been very solid and he was the 7th overall pick afterall. I don't know what position he'll play, and this could be key to whether GSW might keep C.J. Watson or not, but I think Curry is to play PG behind Ellis, or atleast get plenty of time behind Ellis there and at the backup 2 spot.

Im under the assumption the starting lineup is Ellis - Maggete - Azubuike - Jackson - Biedrins as they hold most of their respective spots' minutes.

The depth chart for PG would seem to be Ellis - Watson - Curry - Law depending on which of the three young backup PGs GSW wants to play more, itd might be more along thier thoughts of a Ellis - Curry - Watson depth. And even if the 1st depth chart seems right for GSW, Law and Curry should be capable enough to handle that backup spot instead. That I can't say for sure tho.

On a franchise money side for total salary, GSW is in fairly good financial shape with 13 players on roster alrdy and only just barely over the cap level (Not the Lux tax level, still 13mil below). Altho PG depth is alittle heavy for a typical team if they match Watson. And if its to a long term contract, GSW will not like it. With Claxtons expiring deal and the rejection of 1 or 2 Team Optioned contracts, GSW can get 5-8mil below cap level too.

quote:
Originally posted by Noonskadoodle17:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

the warriors will match our offer. we only have so little to offer him, and nellie really likes watson. so it'll be interested to see how this play out.

I know it's GS, but don't they have like 40 other PGs already?

Ellis Curry Law and Claxton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnq420d81_M

thats a little video of Watson (I love when shaq was trying to guard him hahha)

That's a nice video, especially the assists at the end, I'm definitely down, he might take AJ's spot too, and he looks fast, that'd be a beautiful relief over aj's snail like speed.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicCarter15:

if we sign watson,we have the part of the mle to sing barnes, warfer,daniels or carney?

no. even though it hasn't been reported yet, but if we're using the $1.8 left of our MLE, we're out of money if we get this guy. Only leaving us with vet mins to get players.
...thanks

Bad move. The Warriors will match and after we waste these days waiting on a RFA we will miss out on FAs like Barnes, Wafer, and Daniels.

I can't believe Otis is doing this right after pulling a fast one on the Mavs with Gortat.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Bad move. The Warriors will match and after we waste these days waiting on a RFA we will miss out on FAs like Barnes, Wafer, and Daniels.

I can't believe Otis is doing this right after pulling a fast one on the Mavs with Gortat.

Why are you so sure they will match?