Sign in to follow this  
Nessloch

1st Round Opponent - 2 possibilities - 1 day

Seeds 6-7:

6. Chicago 41-40

7. Philadelphia 40-41

Chicago Bulls 41-40 (24-27 conference) (2-2 vs. PHI)

4/9 Philadelphia (W)

4/11 Charlotte (W)

4/13 @ Detroit (W)

4/15 Toronto

Philadelphia 76ers 40-41 (24-27 conference) (2-2 vs. CHI) (2-1 vs. DET)

4/9 @ Chicago (L)

4/10 Cleveland (L)

4/12 @ Toronto (L)

4/14 Boston (L)

4/15 @ Cleveland

Seeds 6-7:

6. Chicago 41-40

7. Philadelphia 40-41

Chicago Bulls 41-40 (24-27 conference) (2-2 vs. PHI)

4/9 Philadelphia (W)

4/11 Charlotte (W)

4/13 @ Detroit (W)

4/15 Toronto

Philadelphia 76ers 40-41 (24-27 conference) (2-2 vs. CHI) (2-1 vs. DET)

4/9 @ Chicago (L)

4/10 Cleveland (L)

4/12 @ Toronto (L)

4/14 Boston (L)

4/15 @ Cleveland

I'll gladly take take Philadelphia or Chicago.

Philly - No three point shooting whatsoever.

Chicago - No one can stop Dwight/ not very good

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Same here...

to be 100% honest, I would rather face Detroit than Miami...D-Wade is a beast in the playoffs, he will average 20+ FT's per game in a series vs. us with Lee/Redick/Pietrus guarding him...that coupled with his amazing scoring ability, he's sure to average 40+ppg on us in a series...

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Those are my 2 choices also. Ideally, we'll climb to the no. 2 seed and play CHI. But I think the most likely scenario is whoever winds up with no. 6 seed.

But looking at the schedules, however, there is a chance for Chicago to rise to no. 6 if they manage to knock off Philly on Thursday. The Bulls clearly have the easier schedule between the two. Not likely, but hey, Philly plays Cleveland twice, Boston once, and the rest on the road. Not easy.

So between CHI and PHI, I'm not sure who I'd take. I think Philadelphia, with their speed and athleticism, has more potential to give a 1st round opponent trouble. So I'm thinking I'd definitely rather have Chicago, if for nothing else than wanting Philly to possibly give Boston or Cleveland a decent series.

I also have some hesitation about wanting to play a PG like Andre Miller. He could give us some trouble, particularly in his ability to get to the FT line in a close game.

On second thought, it looks like Philly will have the tie-breaker against Chicago even if they lose to them Friday (virtue of CHI's horrible conference record), so it's looking tough.

Basically, Chicago has to win out and Philly has to lose 4 of 5 for us to have a shot at them as a 6th seed.

Could happen, sure, especially Philly losing 4 with that schedule.. but CHI winning all 4?

Probably not gonna happen.

Philadelphia looks like the mostly likely opponent at this point, IMO.

I would order it for me like this:

1. Chicago - Dwight vs Joakim. I laugh every time I see it and it never gets old. We win in 5, maybe even a sweep.

2. Philly - Sweep during the regular season and that was when they had Young, now he's out. Last time we played we had to shoot like **** the first half just to make it interesting. Magic in 5.

3. Detroit - They have our number, but like the Tuna says, 'You are what your record says you are'. We'll take them in 6.

4. Miami - I wouldn't mind facing Miami, I think we would win in 6. I just want them to face Boston or Cleveland cause I know Wade can and possibly will take them out.

The only team I'd feel truly comfortable playing is Philadelphia. They really have no advantages at any matchup unless Miller wants to post up Rafer. Iguadola is mad athletic, but Turk can score just as much.

Miami has Wade, and he scares me, but I'm sure we can beat them. Wade can score all he wants, but he can't outscore our team, and the rest of his team sucks. Dallas was probably sure they could beat Miami too though.

I shouldn't really fear Chicago, but what if they shoot seventy percent for the series instead of just that game where they killed us. Dwight vs. Aaron Grey is very appealing though if Miller and Noah get in foul trouble.

Detroit owns us, plain and simple, and though I'd love to take them out of the playoffs, I'd be chewing my finger nails off every game and the pain would be horrific. I don't want the pain.

I say bring on Philly so I can be calm before we have to face Boston and Cleveland

Philly has the advantage in several areas...

1) Andre Miller routinely took it to Jameer, he will surely take it to Rafer/AJ/Lue...

2) Andre Iguodala when his jumper is on, is a tough guard for a lot of teams, especially when Hedo is guarding him...I will say that Hedo has done a great job over the last 2 seasons keeping AI2 human...I wouldnt be shocked if AI2 went off for 25+ a few times in the series is all...

3) Philly's bench is deep and underrated...Reggie Evans, Maurice Speights, Thad Young, Louis Williams (off this season), Theo Ratliff, their bench is more well rounded and far more productive than Orlando's...

will Philly win the series? no...but young, athletic teams give Orlando trouble so they would probably take 1 or even 2 at the most, but the real game changer is Dwight, they have no answer for him at all and he will be the key factor in the Magic taking the series, Dalembert will have to wear diapers should we face them in the 1st round...

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

Philly has the advantage in several areas...

1) Andre Miller routinely took it to Jameer, he will surely take it to Rafer/AJ/Lue...

2) Andre Iguodala when his jumper is on, is a tough guard for a lot of teams, especially when Hedo is guarding him...I will say that Hedo has done a great job over the last 2 seasons keeping AI2 human...I wouldnt be shocked if AI2 went off for 25+ a few times in the series is all...

3) Philly's bench is deep and underrated...Reggie Evans, Maurice Speights, Thad Young, Louis Williams (off this season), Theo Ratliff, their bench is more well rounded and far more productive than Orlando's...

will Philly win the series? no...but young, athletic teams give Orlando trouble so they would probably take 1 or even 2 at the most, but the real game changer is Dwight, they have no answer for him at all and he will be the key factor in the Magic taking the series, Dalembert will have to wear diapers should we face them in the 1st round...

I agree with points 1 and 3. Their advantages are clear: Andre Miller, speed, and depth.

I don't agree with point 2, however. Iguodala is a great guard, but his strengths play to our strengths on defense, IMO. We have a pretty good help defense and Dwight Howard in the paint. Notice you said "when his jumper is on" - that truly is the x factor with him against a team like Orlando. The only reason he shoots around 45% is because of how many times he gets to the basket. Look at his FT % (low 70s) and three point % (high 20s) to get an idea of where he makes his living.

That said, he's a great player. They get a lot of production out of him. He averages just under 6 boards and gets you about 5 assists a game. But I'd still be more worried about a guy who can (and will) knock down the crucial jump shots in a close game.

Andre Miller is also a poor outside shooter (although good in the clutch, from what I've seen) but can get to the basket and post up.

You have to say, though, that defensively, we're better with Rafer over Jameer. Obviously I'd take Jameer back in a heartbeat, but Rafer is pretty feisty. He'd at least have Miller protecting the basketball a bit more than he would against Jameer - and that could be huge for us.

Every time Rashard/Hedo struggle offensively, however, the hole Jameer left feels enormous.

As for Philly's depth: excellent point. They may not be able to stop Dwight, but they sure can throw a lot of guys on him and foul. Here's hoping Dwight shoots somewhere near 65% from the line no matter who we play.