Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Bucs get Garcia and Plummer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia and potentially nabbed even more competition for incumbent starter Chris Simms by obtaining the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver on Saturday.

NFL free agency

PHOTOS: Top free agents

Division-by-division previews:

NFC: East | North | South | West

AFC: East | North | South | West

Top free agents:

QB | RB | WR/TE | OL | DL | LB | DB

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who nearly signed with the Bucs as a free agent three years ago, agreed to a two-year deal that hopes will give him a chance to finally get to the Super Bowl.

A championship is missing from Plummer's resume, too, but its unclear if it remains a personal goal.

Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen acknowledged the Bucs traded an undisclosed pick in the 2008 draft even though they were aware that Plummer is considering retirement after losing his starting job with the Broncos last season.

Allen said he expects Plummer to play again, but would not speculate on whether it would be with Tampa Bay. The GM also said the Bucs did not acquire the quarterback's rights with the idea of trading him.

The 37-year-old Garcia, who last year led Philadelphia to the playoffs filling in for the injured Donovan McNabb, agreed to terms a day after talking with the Oakland Raiders. The Bucs pursued him in free agency in 2004 but were unable to match a more lucrative deal Garcia signed with the Cleveland Browns.

Simms, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a ruptured spleen, signed a two-year contract extension in December. He led the Bucs to the playoffs after replacing the injured Brian Griese two years, but was 0-3 as a starter in 2006.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia and potentially nabbed even more competition for incumbent starter Chris Simms by obtaining the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver on Saturday.

NFL free agency

PHOTOS: Top free agents

Division-by-division previews:

NFC: East | North | South | West

AFC: East | North | South | West

Top free agents:

QB | RB | WR/TE | OL | DL | LB | DB

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who nearly signed with the Bucs as a free agent three years ago, agreed to a two-year deal that hopes will give him a chance to finally get to the Super Bowl.

A championship is missing from Plummer's resume, too, but its unclear if it remains a personal goal.

Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen acknowledged the Bucs traded an undisclosed pick in the 2008 draft even though they were aware that Plummer is considering retirement after losing his starting job with the Broncos last season.

Allen said he expects Plummer to play again, but would not speculate on whether it would be with Tampa Bay. The GM also said the Bucs did not acquire the quarterback's rights with the idea of trading him.

The 37-year-old Garcia, who last year led Philadelphia to the playoffs filling in for the injured Donovan McNabb, agreed to terms a day after talking with the Oakland Raiders. The Bucs pursued him in free agency in 2004 but were unable to match a more lucrative deal Garcia signed with the Cleveland Browns.

Simms, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a ruptured spleen, signed a two-year contract extension in December. He led the Bucs to the playoffs after replacing the injured Brian Griese two years, but was 0-3 as a starter in 2006.

that was a good move by the bucaneers to get plummer he is a huge upgrade from what they had.

Garcia however isnt as good as everyone thinks. He's an Ex-Lion. there's no hope for him. sorry.

Plummer will never play here, they are already talking about sending him to the Raiders or Texans.

I like the Garcia pick up though, Gruden does wonders with ancient QB's who know the game (Gannon,Johnson).

My big question is what are they going to do about Left Tackle. The line is already too young, they need a great vet to anchor the line. If they don't fix the line, Simms and Garcia will be losing more body parts this year.

I know they are upgrades over what we had but I am terrified that these were plans 1 and 2 for solving the QB issue. I would have thought we would go after Trent Green now that KC has re-upped Huard.

Here is scary part II. Raiders are rumored to be trying to dump Moss, I'm guessing so they can draft Johnson. That makes it look more and more that we will take a tackle (I keep hearing about some guy from Wisconsin) at 4?? Or scarier yet with Russell in all likelyhood being off the board we could be taking (gulp) Brady Quinn. Well at least the Magic are good.....

I like the Garcia pick up, he played really well for the Eagles in McNabb's absence, I dont think Plummer will play here either, its a shame because he is a huge upgrade!

It doesn't matter who the QB is, the o-line can't rush or pass block. They can't protect the QB and they can't open lanes for Cadillac. In my opinion Chris Simms has a lot of potential, but it's hard to be successful when you're on the ground every play.

And don't even get me started with Gruden's offensive gameplans...

They need to trade Plummer for a couple of Linemen, that Trueblood is sorry....... I have a feeling next is going to be another terrible year to be a bucfan......

They signed a solid veteran left tackle in Petitgout, Davis can back up both guard and tackle spots now.

They need an upgrade at safety as well now.

Im thinking more an upgrade at corner, Brian Kelly is very injury prone, and Jurone Bolden and Terry Cox suck terrible ***........