Sign in to follow this  
Natesroom

My .02 Assesment

MAn its been a while since i actually posted my thought on stuff. After reading almost everything and watching all magic games since january and my limited basketball knowledge i thought i would point out some things and you guys let me know if you are watching the same things and wondering the same thing. These in no way reflect tonights particular game.

I will start with Jameer - Does anyone else notice his passes arent crisp? Have you guys noticed he doesnt keep his head all the way up scanning the court when dribbling? Is it just me or does he tend to drive straight into a double tema nad doesnt seem to know how which way to go when darko or dwight sets a pick? And what is with the head fake and then shoot? especially from the 3. DO you think you can just drive and shoot a wild shot and hope dwight gets it and you get an assist?

Now Dwight - not much except that after 4 or 5 T/O's you shouldnt try to spin in the lane. Look for the pass. ALso you are not KG you cannot take many ppl off the dribble. Again where is the pass to the person cutting to the basket after they double team? better yet where is the person cutting to the basket when dwight is doubled? and why does 'oberto look like an allstar rebounder against you??

Hedo - If you are shooting 1-6 why are you not asking the coach to sit you since you obviously are struggling that night. Also why do you not cut to the basket when dwight is doubled? also where did you get the idea that a pass was doing a handoff to jameer or arroyo running past you and then they stop right behind you?? who developed that play??

Arroyo - When you have a 2 or 3 on 1 fast break why do you pull up 15ft away and shoot the ball? also when you are open 18ft out for a split second why do you shoot the ball? You are not a spot up shooter. You dont even stand still you're usually falling forward...thats even worse for your aim then falling away! Where are your're crisp passes for a point guard? At least you have protected the ball the last couple of games.

Darko, darko, darko... what can i say but run through the lane to the basket when dwight gets the ball!

JJ - This is the NBA you dont have to shoot every 3 point shot 6 feet behind the arc!! this isnt college anymore where you want to practice NBA 3's.... hit the screen and ball hog it every chance you get. You wont get many. And why do you always choose the wrong way to run through a screen and your man gets way too open...

Keith bogans -Are you even playing the same game? Where is your cut to the basket? you float around on the outside which is good but man take it to the hole.

Trevor - i cant think of anything to say

Keyon - why do you drive the baseline with two defenders and then get trapped behind the glass and make a bad pass?? Like the energy though

One note for B. Hill... can you please freakin play augustine!! it couldnt hurt...

ALSO just for the team - why is it everytime you THINK you got fouled and didnt get the call you stand there and look perplexed with your arms outstretched while the other team is on the fast break. And what is up with turnovers?? do you guys know how to keep control of the rock? I'd make you do 20 laps around the arena (oustide in 89 degree weather)for every turnover.. and why is outlaw the only one making hustle plays?? hes 79 years old and you guys are 21!!!

Does anybody else see this stuff or am i way out of line?

MAn its been a while since i actually posted my thought on stuff. After reading almost everything and watching all magic games since january and my limited basketball knowledge i thought i would point out some things and you guys let me know if you are watching the same things and wondering the same thing. These in no way reflect tonights particular game.

I will start with Jameer - Does anyone else notice his passes arent crisp? Have you guys noticed he doesnt keep his head all the way up scanning the court when dribbling? Is it just me or does he tend to drive straight into a double tema nad doesnt seem to know how which way to go when darko or dwight sets a pick? And what is with the head fake and then shoot? especially from the 3. DO you think you can just drive and shoot a wild shot and hope dwight gets it and you get an assist?

Now Dwight - not much except that after 4 or 5 T/O's you shouldnt try to spin in the lane. Look for the pass. ALso you are not KG you cannot take many ppl off the dribble. Again where is the pass to the person cutting to the basket after they double team? better yet where is the person cutting to the basket when dwight is doubled? and why does 'oberto look like an allstar rebounder against you??

Hedo - If you are shooting 1-6 why are you not asking the coach to sit you since you obviously are struggling that night. Also why do you not cut to the basket when dwight is doubled? also where did you get the idea that a pass was doing a handoff to jameer or arroyo running past you and then they stop right behind you?? who developed that play??

Arroyo - When you have a 2 or 3 on 1 fast break why do you pull up 15ft away and shoot the ball? also when you are open 18ft out for a split second why do you shoot the ball? You are not a spot up shooter. You dont even stand still you're usually falling forward...thats even worse for your aim then falling away! Where are your're crisp passes for a point guard? At least you have protected the ball the last couple of games.

Darko, darko, darko... what can i say but run through the lane to the basket when dwight gets the ball!

JJ - This is the NBA you dont have to shoot every 3 point shot 6 feet behind the arc!! this isnt college anymore where you want to practice NBA 3's.... hit the screen and ball hog it every chance you get. You wont get many. And why do you always choose the wrong way to run through a screen and your man gets way too open...

Keith bogans -Are you even playing the same game? Where is your cut to the basket? you float around on the outside which is good but man take it to the hole.

Keyon - why do you drive the baseline with two defenders and then get trapped behind the glass and make a bad pass?? Like the energy though

One note for B. Hill... can you please freakin play augustine!! it couldnt hurt...

ALSO just for the team - why is it everytime you THINK you got fouled and didnt get the call you stand there and look perplexed with your arms outstretched while the other team is on the fast break. And what is up with turnovers?? do you guys know how to keep control of the rock? I'd make you do 20 laps around the arena (oustide in 89 degree weather)for every turnover.. and why is outlaw the only one making hustle plays?? hes 79 years old and you guys are 21!!!

We do have problems and I am suggesting Bill Laimbeer be hired as the new coach.

You can sign the petition at the website below and make your thoughts known.

http://www.firebrianhill.org/

The petition count is now close to or exceeding 500.

Nathan, I have a confession to make. The last two games when watching these flaws that you describe, I fell asleep and missed a part of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarters.

I agree, it seems that many of our problems are self inflicted...

But the thing that irritates me is how everyone stands there an just stares at Dwight when he has the ball, no one fighting through screens, trying to get open simply looking, watching,

"wat is Dwight going to do now,oh he go stripped, ref that was a foul, oh is that my man down there open for a layup, ref u see what u did"

Nathan, I know how you feel man. You typed your fingers to death and wanted to get some legitimate responses. I think most of us on these boards agree with you. It's just that right now with our ship sinking and things looking worse by the game people are getting tired of beating a dead horse.

I can see you spent some time on this post and I think you did a great job! At least you were specific in your crticisms of each player.

I hate it when people get on here and just post that this player s-u-c-k-s with no substance to their discussion. They just say this player s-u-c-k-s. Or Coach Hill, no doubt.(lol)

lol...you got me right on.

I know how to play B-ball but understanding offensive plays and defensive schemes i dont get all the time. I was just posting those things that seem to happen and in my mind look odd or seem wrong. I'm gonna watch the game tonight does anybody watch it on HD? We should get a magic board get together somewhere and watch the game. If any ones down for that hit me up.

Dwight - D12 is forcing the issue because he doesn't trust his teammates. He fights for position and several struggle to get him the ball. His point guards throw up bad shot after bad shot with nobody else touching the ball and nobody is consistently knocking down jumpers when he passes out of the double team. He's trying to carry his struggling team, but he's got to trust his teammates when doubled. The problem is, he can't trust them to get him the ball or make opponents pay for doubling. It's a double edged sword.

Redick - If you think Redick ball hogs it and takes every shot possible, we aren't watching the same player. JJ's shown very good judgement and shot selection IMO. I don't see a player forcing anything. I see a player doing his best to fit in and play a role while struggling to get into a shooting rythem due to a lack of consistent PT or defined role. Redick is the best player on the team feeding the post and he frequently refeeds Dwight when Howard passes out of the post unlike every other player on the roster.

Jameer & Carlos - Guakos said it best the other night, they spend a lot of time dribbling and going nowhere. PG's need to run the offense to produce the best shot possible every time down the floor. These two pound the rock until they find enough space to chuck up a shot.

The difference between the early part of the season and now is ball movement and movement off the ball. The half court offense has become very stagnant with nearly every shot being created individually. It all comes back to the play of your PG's.

Darko - Darko's become a bit of a black hole in the post. When he shoots the hook with purpose, he's productive. When he simply flips every post opportunity towards the rim, he's not. He'll improve with experience and confidence. His passing skills should be utilized better by B. Hill. But, he can't hit cutters when everybody is standing still on the 3 point line and he's not doubled.

I think the big problem we face is our lack of confidence. Our team is standing around with shoulders slumped, going through the motions. It is clearly a coaching issue. Our players do not enjoy the game that they are playing. Brian Hill has lost his team. They are tired of his boring style of basketball, and his Napoleonic complex that he displays day in and day out. There is a time and place for the coach to get overemotional, but Brian is a bit ridiculous. We need a better style that is fun for our young players to play. Defense is important, but we need to focus on pushing the ball and scoring. We have an amazing athlete at the Center position that should be wearing these older big men out, but we pound the dribble, while Shaq or Duncan pant more oxygen into their lungs. We need an energetic coach that these players can laugh with. They need to enjoy showing up to the RDV to practice. I think Darrell would be a great coach. What ever happened to Larry Brown? What about plucking an assistant from Phoenix?

We definately need to make a few roster moves this off season as well. There is no need to have Jameer and Carlos. So we need to evaluate their values and decide who we should trade.

Grant Hill.....arg... If we resign this guy or even let him play for free we are making a huge mistake. Can we, by this point, admit a mistake and cut ties with a nice guy.

We need a defintive scorer badly. Vince would be very nice, but I won't beat a dead horse.

I don't think we sould resign Keyon and I wouldn't mind seeing Turkoglu traded. There are some nice young athletic free agents that will be in our price range and I think we should look closely at what we can obtain. We have some nice young pieces to a puzzle that we need to sit down and figure out how to assemble. Show us what you got Otis!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

Those thoughts were stuck in the back of your mind and you had to let them go to someone. I understand but the players don't understand.