Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Steve Kyler (hoopsworld) Trading Bogans?

OK friends, it's gotten silly. Last year the Orlando Magic carried six guards: Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Maurice Evans, JJ Redick, and Keith Bogans. This year the Magic have six guards: Jameer Nelson, Anthony Johnson, Courtney Lee, Mickael Pietrus, Keith Bogans, and JJ Redick. Why there is this belief that the Magic have to be trading Keith Bogans or JJ Redick is amazing. Yes, the Magic have a glut of guards. They had a glut of guards last year. Think for a second about Stan Van Gundy's run and shoot system. He cycles in guys based on matchup. Jameer is the starter

OK friends, it's gotten silly. Last year the Orlando Magic carried six guards: Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Maurice Evans, JJ Redick, and Keith Bogans. This year the Magic have six guards: Jameer Nelson, Anthony Johnson, Courtney Lee, Mickael Pietrus, Keith Bogans, and JJ Redick. Why there is this belief that the Magic have to be trading Keith Bogans or JJ Redick is amazing. Yes, the Magic have a glut of guards. They had a glut of guards last year. Think for a second about Stan Van Gundy's run and shoot system. He cycles in guys based on matchup. Jameer is the starter

I thought that entire thing was truth393's post, I didn't realize that was the article.

Kyler can say what he wants about fans being transaction fiend's, I can make the arguement that he is a little too relaxed in his opinion. We don't need to move Keith but he is an expiring contract and that is a trade chip. If they have no plans to resign him this offseason it would be smart to use the trade chip rather than watching yet another expiring deal walk away.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I thought that entire thing was truth393's post, I didn't realize that was the article.

Kyler can say what he wants about fans being transaction fiend's, I can make the arguement that he is a little too relaxed in his opinion. We don't need to move Keith but he is an expiring contract and that is a trade chip.

If they have no plans to resign him this offseason it would be smart to use the trade chip rather than watching yet another expiring deal walk away.

You have a point, but Keith still is a solid role player in Stan system, and if somebody was to go down with an injury Stan will have Keith to fill in. The point you made about his expiring contract is valid, but teams don't really look for expiring contract until it get close to the trade deadline.

I don't expect anything to be done till the deadline but we can worry about injuries to anyone. If Tony gets hurt we are relying on Cook to back up the 4. If AJ gets hurt we are relying on Mike Wilks. The positions where we don't have to worry unless we get muliple injures are 2 and 3, I'm all for depth but how much do we need at 1 position?

No matter who it is, we're weak on big men and heavy in guards. We need a bruiser who can get offensive boards and intimidate people by fouling the crap out of them.

That's my two cents. We need a "Dennis Rodman"-style player. ...who can shoot freethrows.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kyler can say what he wants about fans being transaction fiend's, I can make the arguement that he is a little too relaxed in his opinion. We don't need to move Keith but he is an expiring contract and that is a trade chip.

If they have no plans to resign him this offseason it would be smart to use the trade chip rather than watching yet another expiring deal walk away.

You have a point, but Keith still is a solid role player in Stan system, and if somebody was to go down with an injury Stan will have Keith to fill in. The point you made about his expiring contract is valid, but teams don't really look for expiring contract until it get close to the trade deadline.

I don't expect anything to be done till the deadline but we can worry about injuries to anyone. If Tony gets hurt we are relying on Cook to back up the 4. If AJ gets hurt we are relying on Mike Wilks. The positions where we don't have to worry unless we get muliple injures are 2 and 3, I'm all for depth but how much do we need at 1 position?

Wilks contract isn't guranteed. I think Otis will play close attention to the waiver wire in the next couple of weeks. There are a couple of guys who might not make other teams rosters that will fit in nice with the Magic. Guys like D.J. Strawberry and Sean Singletary will both have a hard time making their team roster, and I will gladly accept either one of them over Wilks.

Anyway I think if Otis trade for anyone it will be a PF, because Stan plans on using CLEE in a SG/PG role a la Dooling.

quote:

Guys like D.J. Strawberry and Sean Singletary will both have a hard time making their team roster, and I will gladly accept either one of them over Wilks.

I haven't seen enough of Strawberry to have an opinion of him, but Singletary has no business on an NBA roster, and if these players get cut, there is a reason for it.