Sign in to follow this  
i HATE Rich DeVos

Protest at Amway arena

All law is discriminatory in its truest sense.

And BTW, Christians in this country are not oppressed, but in recent years there has been numerous reported cases of blatant discrimination against Christians.

Now, if you want to talk about true Christian oppression, you need to look at the Islamic States in the Middle East and Africa.

Also, in regards to this thread, Devos can do whatever he wants with his money, whether you agree to it or not. I don't like Mark Cuban's politics either or what he spends his money on, but I'm not urging people to boycott the Mavericks.

You are going to encounter activists in every walk of life who hold opposing views of your own, do you want to silence them all? Or country was founded on activism.

I would agree that saying Christians are discriminated against is, for the most part, untrue. I say for the most part because there certainly are instances and locations where that statement is true (Take cities like San Francisco or Berkely, for example, where you can have a gay pride parade, but if you try to hold some sort of Christian gathering, it would most likely be protested). I would say what Rojo was most likely aiming at was the Christianity is largely persecuted, at least by the majority of the media. But that is as much bashing conservative views as it is bashing the religion specifically. Christianity, and religion as a whole, has it difficult in today's day and age, not necessarily because everyone is out to get them, but because of post-modern universalism. I digress.

In the end, RDV has all the right to spend his money wherever he pleases. To say that all of his money should go into the team is ludicrous. Let the man live and support what he pleases.

Now, if he were to do something like kick John Amaechi off of the team for being a homosexual, than we can talk. (Yes, I know John isn't in the league anymore, but you catch my drift)

DOM - would you agree that Christianity is discriminated against and opressed globally? If so, would you acknowledge the idea that Christian's here in the US, a country that was founded on judeo-christian beliefs, have reason to be concerned with practices of discrimination as they pertain to potential persecution expansion?

First off, I think using slavery as a comparison is a kneejerk response and a bit like bringing a tank to a knife fight. Comparing the total domination of one's life to that of a couple not able to publicly acknowledge and institutionalize their love in a way that other couples can is a bit over the top. I say this while attempting to maintain my compassion for those affected by this current issue.

As for the OP, I think he was tainting his own argument from the beginning. His handle is "I Hate Rich DeVos." Clearly this guy has it in for DeVos no matter what the cause or issue is. In fact, if the reality was that DeVos donated 100 grand in opposition to Amendment 2, this poster might have been on here saying something like: "I can't believe DeVos took public money for the arena but still gave $100 K so that gays can marry each other."

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

First off, I think using slavery as a comparison is a kneejerk response and a bit like bringing a tank to a knife fight. Comparing the total domination of one's life to that of a couple not able to publicly acknowledge and institutionalize their love in a way that other couples can is a bit over the top. I say this while attempting to maintain my compassion for those affected by this current issue.

Let's slow down and not have our own kneejerk reactions just because the word slavery was mentioned. Allow me to clarify.

In no way was I comparing slavery to gay marriage. I was responding to this quote:

"and by the way, if the VAST majority of americans don't care much for gay marriage, how's it really discriminating?"

My point was that an agreement among the majority of people on a certain issue doesn't automatically make it the right thing to do, and it certainly doesn't disqualify it from being discriminatory.

Admittedly, slavery is an extreme example. But it's one that is easily understood by everyone. If you were to take out the phrase "gay marriage" from the above quote and replace it with "black people", I have no doubt that HighAngleEd would disagree with his own statement. That's all I was saying.

Gay marriage was not being equated with slavery. It was simply being used to illustrate a point about majority opinion.

Thanks for the clarification Jackie.

To further clarify my point...it is just an example of the many times a comparison like this is made. Even if you meant it as stated above, others then took it further away from your original intent.

It is almost impossible to try to use slavery or even the Holocaust without it appearing heavy handed simply because these two examples are so extreme.

And again, I'm not trying to belittle the current issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Thanks for the clarification Jackie.

To further clarify my point...it is just an example of the many times a comparison like this is made. Even if you meant it as stated above, others then took it further away from your original intent.

It is almost impossible to try to use slavery or even the Holocaust without it appearing heavy handed simply because these two examples are so extreme.

And again, I'm not trying to belittle the current issue.

I know the point will be lost on most. But the fact that people will not comprehend what was actually said isn't going to stop me from making a point that I feel is valid.

The idea that majority opinion should override the rights of the minority is ludicrous and extremely unamerican no matter what situation it is applied to. And that's what I was responding to, not the gay marriage issue specifically.

We have a constitution with a bill of rights for a reason, to protect the rights of all citizens regardless of what a majority of those citizens or their government would like to do.

This extends well beyond gay marriage or any other issues we could possibly discuss. It's about the rights of citizens of a free society to do as they please without government interference, provided they don't infringe upon the rights of anyone else.

In that sense, slavery serves as a perfect example of why it's dangerous to suggest that if the majority of a population seeks to deny the rights of any group of people, it should be okay because our nation is supposed to be a democracy. That's BS.

Sorry to seem like I'm arguing with you, LOD. I'm not. Just trying to make it a little easier for others to understand what I was trying to convey.