Sign in to follow this  
i HATE Rich DeVos

Protest at Amway arena

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Lubinsky:

quote:
Both more relevant to an Orlando Magic basketball conversation than this thread.

LOL. Rich Devos is our OWNER. Anything involving him is relevant enough. You compare that with what time players should be in their PJS and tucked in at night? Yeah...

I guess we should post threads here then for EVERY cause that Devos supports then. Considering the number of organizations he donates to we won't have any room for "Basketball" related threads.

Honestly, why is this in this forum? this is a political thing, not a basketball thing. Just because it says "Amway Arena" in the title & "Rich DeVos" in the first post does NOT make it Magic basketball related.

some of ya'll are pathetic. it's his money. let him spend it on whatever he wants to. no he didn't go over the luxury tax, did he REALLY need to? and how much of the new arena would that 100k buy? maybe a couple food booths? where's OCTB to back me up on this?

this thread has nothing to do with basketball and should be moved to off topic. it would be like putting on this topic every player's voting habits.

and by the way, if the VAST majority of americans don't care much for gay marriage, how's it really discriminating? maybe that weirdo out in california who doesn't want "In God We Trust" on our money is discriminating against me!!

Really, some of you are taking this way too far. I mean give me a break, don't buy Magic merchandise or tickets to see them play because their owner believes in something differently than you. If I acted like that in every part of life, I'd probably have to disown my parents, or at least boycott the holiday visits because they feel strongly about certain things that I see reversely. Being anti-gay marriage does not make him in favor of "public discrimination" anyway, that is just a charge you are putting in his mouth. Leave it alone and put it on an off topic board not the basketball board.

I really did not think Devos even still owned the team.... I thought he signed it over to BVW, and other kids...

If so, then this has absolutely nothing to do with the Magic....

Also, by the way if you did not support people who thought different than you, you would probably need to sit in a cave somewhere, because people in all businesses have some people that probably in favor of this ammendment.... well every business other than like the Parliment house.....that is...

But,

Banks,

Power companies,

Phone Companies,

Retail Stores.....etc...etc..etc

If you want to protest every company out there that did not agree with everything you did, you need to quit your job and go on welfare, because you will be real busy...

People need to get a life and stop ignorant protests, that will change nothing, just like the people protesting at the Anthony house...

If you actually tried to sit down and think about it for just a few seconds, you could figure out that all the protest will do is give more press to the cause Devos is actually supporting, because the News channels will tell what the protest is about, which in turn gives the cause free publicity.....

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

If you actually tried to sit down and think about it for just a few seconds, you could figure out that all the protest will do is give more press to the cause Devos is actually supporting, because the News channels will tell what the protest is about, which in turn gives the cause free publicity.....

Which is exactly what a protest sets out to accomplish...bringing attention to a certain issue.

quote:
Originally posted by mnewballer21:

Really, some of you are taking this way too far. I mean give me a break, don't buy Magic merchandise or tickets to see them play because their owner believes in something differently than you. If I acted like that in every part of life, I'd probably have to disown my parents, or at least boycott the holiday visits because they feel strongly about certain things that I see reversely. Being anti-gay marriage does not make him in favor of "public discrimination" anyway, that is just a charge you are putting in his mouth. Leave it alone and put it on an off topic board not the basketball board.

Nobody said not to buy tickets or merch, I raised the point that Dick gave $100,000 in support of amendment 2 and that there was a protest at the arena. He has $100,000 to spend on this crap, but takes county money to build a new arena to fatten his wallet. Some people may not want to give money to a man who uses it to openly discriminate against Floridians. This thread has everything to do with the organization (the owner) and the forum description says "anything and everything magic". For those of you who think this is strictly a gay issue it is not, it also affect heterosexual unions.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

and by the way, if the VAST majority of americans don't care much for gay marriage, how's it really discriminating?

Do I really need to bring up slavery to illustrate why this mentality fails?

Please do, because reality is only 15% of americans owned slaves. Which is a fact printed in History books that are taught in the public school system.

It is ok for some of you to talk about how he is being discriminating. However, you yourselves our doing exactly the same thing to him because he is supporting his beliefs. Its like you are saying that it is ok to discriminate against a majority opinion, but not against a minority one. Christians are discriminated against constantly...but because majority of americans are Christian most people who aren't don't see themselves as being discriminating. Just using that as an example.

--Rojogrande

quote:
Originally posted by Rojogrande:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

and by the way, if the VAST majority of americans don't care much for gay marriage, how's it really discriminating?

Do I really need to bring up slavery to illustrate why this mentality fails?

Please do, because reality is only 15% of americans owned slaves. Which is a fact printed in History books that are taught in the public school system.

It is ok for some of you to talk about how he is being discriminating. However, you yourselves our doing exactly the same thing to him because he is supporting his beliefs. Its like you are saying that it is ok to discriminate against a majority opinion, but not against a minority one. Christians are discriminated against constantly...but because majority of americans are Christian most people who aren't don't see themselves as being discriminating. Just using that as an example.

--Rojogrande

The number of people who actually owned slaves is irrelevant. I challenge you to make a compelling case that the other 85% disagreed with the idea of slavery.

As for your other point, it appears that we have a misunderstanding of what discrimination is.

The people supporting this law are trying to impose their beliefs on other people whether they like it or not. The people opposing it are not imposing their beliefs on anyone, they are promoting equal rights for everyone.

If there was a group of people trying to pass a law saying that everyone must enter into a homosexual marriage, that would be discrimination.

No one is saying Mr. DeVos and the others who support the ban must accept gay marriage. They are free to disagree with it as much as they want. Therefore, his beliefs are not being discriminated against. It's the old "My freedom to swing my fist in the air stops where your face begins" principle.

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

quote:
Originally posted by mnewballer21:

Nobody said not to buy tickets or merch, I raised the point that Dick gave $100,000 in support of amendment 2 and that there was a protest at the arena. He has $100,000 to spend on this crap, but takes county money to build a new arena to fatten his wallet. Some people may not want to give money to a man who uses it to openly discriminate against Floridians. This thread has everything to do with the organization (the owner) and the forum description says "anything and everything magic". For those of you who think this is strictly a gay issue it is not, it also affect heterosexual unions.

a) It's his money, so he's free to use it however he wants.

B) That extra 100,000 is infinitely inferior to the amount needed from the city for the new arena, AND none of said money from the city actually comes from residents of the city(it comes from the tourist tax), AND the fact that I could afford a 15 dollar pizza doesn't mean that I could afford a 50000 dollar car.

c) The value of the new arena to the city once it's built is infinitely greater than the actual cost of the arena.

d) This thread has nothing to do with Magic Basketball, which is the purpose of this forum. If you want to argue that a second forum area should exist for "Magic Organization activities" or something, you might have a point, but seeing as RDV giving 100k to this particular cause has no effect on JJ's playing time, Dwight's Free throws or Gortat's ripped gunz, there is simply no argument that can be made to justify having this in this forum.

quote:
Originally posted by Rojogrande:

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've heard in months.

Christians repeatedly say they're being discriminated against, a claim that is as patently false as it is ridiculous(at least in the US). Christians have dominated all aspects of government and society since shortly after the founding of the country. The so-called discrimination against them has predominately been other minority groups asking for equal rights and authority, which were granted to them under the law anyway.

The ban on gay marriage is a perfect example of why the logic you're using is moronic. A ban sponsored by Christianity(in one way or another) of gay marriages is discriminatory in two separate ways; it denies rights to homosexuals that heterosexuals have, AND it denies the right to perform marriages to homosexuals to religions that don't believe there is anything wrong in doing so.

The idea that Christians are somehow being oppressed is absolutely insane. Oppression is having your rights taken away, not having shopping malls decide that it's probably insensitive to other religions to have nativity scenes outside of Sears for two months a year.