Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Books

Regarding Ender's Game, what a great sci-fi book for readers of just about any age. It blows my mind that this book is 20 years old and no one has made it into a movie. The follow-up "Speaker for the Dead" was OK. Another in the series "Ender's Shadow" tells the same story as the original book but from a different character's perspective and it is also excellent.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Forever War by Joe Halderon

Divinci Code by Dan Brown

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (whole enders series is great)

Runaway Jury by John Grisham (book much better than movie)

Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy

Thomas Covenant series by Stephan R Donaldson

and of Course the Grand daddy of them all

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

I have read all of these (or at least parts of the series) and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Great list!

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

Chuck Palahniuk is the man, I have read almost all of his books, good stories that make you think and keep track of what' going on but are not too predictable.

I've been trying to find something I will like again, but I don't know much about authors so haven't picked up anything new in a while.

I'll check some of your recommendations.

I'll have to look into Stephen Bury, Stephen Brust and Guy Kay. Any specifics?

I really like Chuck's writing style. It isn't pretentious and he seems to write the way that most people think...so its like reading thoughts.

For Stephen Bury, try "Interface." It is a political thriller with a "techie" slant to it.

If you want a great sci-fi book that you can get in to (and also has history and mystery!) then check out "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson. This is "cyber-punk" at its purest!

For Stephen Brust, check out "Jhereg." It is a fantasy book and is the first in a series - but can be read as a stand-alone.

For Guy Kay, check out "The Summer Tree." This is the first book in his trilogy called The Fionavar Tapestry. This is an excellent book and the author has created a world much like Middle Earth.

For years and years, Wilbur Smith and Clive Cusler were my favorites.

The latest I read was Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and it looks like he is going to be my next favorite author.

Ok, I want to talk up an author that I have been reading lately. His name is Nelson DeMille and he primarily writes cop/military type mystery/thrillers.

The one book of his that most may recognize is "The General's Daughter" because it was made into a hit movie (John Travolta) a few years ago. I haven't read that one.

The one I read was "Plum Island" about a NYPD detective named John Corey. This book was great. I finished it about two weeks ago. After finishing it, I looked the author up to see what else he had written and found out that there were two more "John Corey" books so I went out and bought the second one, titled "The Lion's Game." This is the one I am reading right now and it is great. A third one with this same character came out last year.

Anyway, if you enjoy a great mystery/thriller, go pick up "Plum Island." You won't be disappointed.

^^^^regarding "Lion's Game" mentioned in the above post^^^^

Finished it and immediately went out and bought the third book about this same character. I am saving the third one to read on my vacation next month. This is a good author and a great character (Det. John Corey). If you are looking for a new author to try out, give this guy a shot.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

Has anyone read Beach Road by James Patterson?

I have read Patterson in the past, but not that title. Have you read much of him? I am curious whether he is one of those authors that have become so prolific, that all of their books are basically the same, just with a different title (kind of like Grisham).

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

I have read Patterson in the past, but not that title. Have you read much of him? I am curious whether he is one of those authors that have become so prolific, that all of their books are basically the same, just with a different title (kind of like Grisham).

No I havent read it, wondered if anyone else has, he is a great writer but could see him moving in to a Grisham type of author!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

No I havent read it, wondered if anyone else has, he is a great writer but could see him moving in to a Grisham type of author!

Yeah, there is someone else - a female author - that puts out like 4 books a year. Danielle Steele maybe? Anyway, Stephen King puts out a lot too, but I really like him. Of course, I pick and choose which of his I read because there are so many. He is one of the few authors that has the development rights to his books already sold before the publisher even gets them on the book shelves.