Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Books

Anyone ready any good books lately?

Im in the middle of reading a book named "A Game of Thrones" Its the first of 6 book series named "A song of Fire and Ice" written by George R.R. Martin, Its pretty interesting I must say. For those who like old age kinda stories I suggest you read it.

oh yeah, Im 28 and I like the Harry Potter books.

Yep. Thats right! I said it.

Anyone ready any good books lately?

Im in the middle of reading a book named "A Game of Thrones" Its the first of 6 book series named "A song of Fire and Ice" written by George R.R. Martin, Its pretty interesting I must say. For those who like old age kinda stories I suggest you read it.

oh yeah, Im 28 and I like the Harry Potter books.

Yep. Thats right! I said it.

Just finished Stephen King's "Cell"

Pretty good, fast read. Action starts fast and never lets up.

One of the best I have read recently was "Odd Thomas" by Dean Kootnz.

If you like fantasy get your wife (or girlfriend) to read the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K Hamilton. Elves, Murder, Politics and lots of Sex all rolled into one.

Its really crazy how the more we post on here the more we find out how much in common some of us have.

Because so much of my job is writing, I do an equivalent amount of reading. Most of my reading is fiction, and specifically Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

For instance, I own the first three books of the George R.R. Martin series that LGM mentioned. And although I haven't read the Cell by King, I own about 20 of his hard covers. Oh, and I too have read the Potter books, but only the first 4.

If you like sci-fi, check out anything by Larry Niven.

If you like fiction with an edge, try Chuck Palahniuk.

If you like cyber-punk, try Stephen Bury.

If you like fantasy, try Stephen Brust or Guy Kay.

That's just a few.

LGM...thanks for starting this post...this should be good for 5 to 7 pages.

Let's see I jumped on the Dan Brown band wagon, and read Da Vinci code, really good FICTIONAL story.

His book Angels and Demons was even better in my opinion.

The I tried reading another one of his books, Deception Point or something like that, boring...could not finish it.

Chuck Palahniuk is the man, I have read almost all of his books, good stories that make you think and keep track of what' going on but are not too predictable.

I've been trying to find something I will like again, but I don't know much about authors so haven't picked up anything new in a while.

I'll check some of your recommendations. I like stories like Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books, a little history, a little mistery, a little conspiracy. And Chuck's fiction.

I'll have to look into Stephen Bury, Stephen Brust and Guy Kay. Any specifics?

I wish I had more time to read. Love a good book. Have gotten into Books on CD when I traveled a lot. Great for long car drives.

I have read all the Potter books. My sister is 4th grade teacher and recommended it for adults too. After reading it, I paid my daughter $20 to read the first one to get her into reading in 6th grade. She loved it and now reads all the time.

All time fiction favorites-

Forever War by Joe Halderon

Divinci Code by Dan Brown

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (whole enders series is great)

Runaway Jury by John Grisham (book much better than movie)

Dark Tower series by Stephen King

On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (Xanth series was good too)

Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy

Thomas Covenant series by Stephan R Donaldson

and of Course the Grand daddy of them all

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Oh this Topic could be as much fun as any others for me. I love to read.

Some of my favorites are:

* Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin - If you like court intrigue in a fantasy setting (Kings and Lords contriving for influence and power) you'll like this series.

Unique writing style also. Lots of characters, and each from their own specific point of view.

* Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series - currently up to book 11 (expected to be 12 books). Also alot of characters but a vast world with alot of intrigue and mystery also.

* Harry Potter - What's not to love?

* I have to agree on Enders Game. That was probably one of the best ending I have seen in a book. I don't usually go for Sci-Fi but this was expertly written. If you read no other books from this thread, read that one.

I wasn't as big on the whole series but that book was a must read.

Digital Fortress was another Dan Brown book that was good. I have not read Deception Point or Angels and Demons but I did enjoy "Code" and Digital Fortress.

A writer similar to George Martin is Kate Elliot. She wrote an incredible fantasy series called "Crown of Stars." The first book is called "King's Dragon." I definitely recommend that to anyone that digs Martin.